From:  Robin Popplestone
Subject: Re: Ousterhout and Tcl lost the plot with late
Richard A. O'Keefe writes:

>When I was a student at Edinburgh we had a Pop-2 system (think "Lisp data
>structures (before Lisp had them) with Pascalish syntax") running quite
>happily on a PDP-11.  It was *less* resource hungry than the C compiler.

Bill Clocksin wrote that implementation and called it "Poppy".

But, to be fair, the C compiler did not have to be present when the  user's
program was run. For developing programs it was, and is, very nice to  have
the compiler easily  to hand at  run-time. But  if you want  to solve  your
PDE's with as fine a mesh-size as possible it was very nice if the compiler
went away if your machine  was small. This fact has  set the norms for  the
world.

Robin