From: Will Hartung
Subject: Distributed Design and Development?
Hi folks!

I don't mean to interrupt Martin and Erik, but I've a question.

It isn't specifically geared to Lisp, per se, but of the groups that I
read, it seems the best people hang out here.

I'm looking for book suggestions regarding a Distributed application.
Specifically, I'm looking for some advance warnings on what kind of
landmines I may stumble upon, and some advice on how to go about
designing and partitioning the app.

So, if anyone has a suggestion that may fit the role, I'd appreciate
it.

I looked at the ILU site, which was very interesting, but I'm hoping
for something a little more basic to help explain some of the issues
that ILU is trying to transcend.

Something on the level of Bertrand Meyers "OO Software Construction"
(fine book, IMHO), only WRT distributed computing, RPC's, app
partitioning, etc.

Thanx all!

--
Will Hartung - Rancho Santa Margarita. It's a dry heat. ······@netcom.com
1990 VFR750 - VFR=Very Red    "Ho, HaHa, Dodge, Parry, Spin, HA! THRUST!"

From: David Lamkins
Subject: Re: Distributed Design and Development?
Look at "Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design," 2nd ed, Coulouris et
al,
Addison-Wesley 1994 (ISBN 0-201-62433-8)

Will Hartung <······@netcom.com> wrote in article
<················@netcom.com>...
[...]
From: Bill Janssen
In article <················@netcom.com> ······@netcom.com (Will Hartung) writes:

   I looked at the ILU site, which was very interesting, but I'm hoping
   for something a little more basic to help explain some of the issues
   that ILU is trying to transcend.

Good point.  We tend to forget to explain the why of ILU in the
documentation.  There are a number of motivating factors, but two
dominate.

The first is the desire to have a way of defining and documenting
interfaces to software modules that isn't tied to some particular
programming language.  This is why ILU ISL exists.  Personally, I
think we could have done a better job in this area, and hope to
revisit it some day.  The fact that users can also use OMG IDL with
ILU is a by-product of one of our design goals, to use and support
external standards where possible.

The second is to have a way of using an existing library or module
written in language A from another language B, without having to know
how to program in language B.  This is why the entire rest of ILU
exists.  The fact that ILU supports distributed programming is simply
a by-product of the fact that some language runtimes cannot co-exist
in the same address space.

More info on ILU at ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen  <·······@parc.xerox.com> (415) 812-4763  FAX: (415) 812-4777
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA  94304