From: M. L. James
Subject: Does anyone know of a Common LISP which runs under VMS on a VAX?
Does anyone know of a Common LISP which runs under VMS on a VAX?

Thank You,
-- Mark

From: David Lowry
M. L. James wrote:

> Does anyone know of a Common LISP which runs under VMS on a VAX?
>
> Thank You,
> -- Mark

Vax Lisp.  DEC produced VAX Lisp (I was on the development team) up
through 1989.  I believe DEC then started reselling Lucid Lisp.  Call up
a DEC sales droid.  I'll bet they still sell Vax Lisp, although you may
have to be persistant in getting them to admit it.
|David D. Lowry							|
|Attorney at Law (or at Play)			···@dbrc.com	|
|Dike, Bronstein, Roberts & Cushman LLP		www.dbrc.com	|
|Boston, Mass.					(617) 523-3400	|
|								|
|CLOS > C++ * 10^2						|
|_______________________________________________________________|
From: Russell Creel
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 00:32:08 -0800, ······@idt.net (M. L. James)
wrote:

>Does anyone know of a Common LISP which runs under VMS on a VAX?
>
>Thank You,
>-- Mark

If you are very brave, you might consider installing emacs on your
vax.  Then you would not only get a lisp interpreter,. but also a hell
of a good editor to go with it.  :-)
From: Rudi Strasser
M. L. James wrote:

> Does anyone know of a Common LISP which runs under VMS on a VAX?
>
> Thank You,
> -- Mark
We have our own version of xlisp (with enhancements) that runs on UNIX
as well as on VMS. It will be release to the public domain soon.

/Rudi
 Rudolf Strasser                   Voice:  +43-1-58801-3680
 Institute for Microelectronics   e-Mail:  ········@iue.tuwien.ac.at
 Technical University Vienna         www:  http:://iue.tuwien.ac.at
 Gusshausstrasse  27-29/E360         Fax:  +43-1-5059224
 A-1040  Vienna                      __o      __o      __o     __o
 A U S T R I A                     _`\<,_   _`\<,_   _`\<,_  _`\<,_
				  (*)  (*) (*)  (*) (*)  (*)(*)  (*)
From: Blake McBride
Rudi Strasser wrote:

> M. L. James wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a Common LISP which runs under VMS on a VAX?
> >
> > Thank You,
> > -- Mark
> We have our own version of xlisp (with enhancements) that runs on UNIX
> as well as on VMS. It will be release to the public domain soon.

I hope you will first sync this with Tom Almy.  Lord knows we don't need
another xlisp branch!

--
Get info on my Dynace Object Oriented Extension to C
and Windows Development System from:
From: David Betz
Blake McBride wrote:

> Rudi Strasser wrote:
> >
> > M. L. James wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a Common LISP which runs under VMS on a VAX?
> > >
> > > Thank You,
> > > -- Mark
> > We have our own version of xlisp (with enhancements) that runs on UNIX
> > as well as on VMS. It will be release to the public domain soon.
>
> I hope you will first sync this with Tom Almy.  Lord knows we don't need
> another xlisp branch!
>
> --
> Get info on my Dynace Object Oriented Extension to C
> and Windows Development System from:
> http://www.edge.net/algorithms
> Blake McBride (·····@edge.net)
> Algorithms Corporation - 615-791-1636 - USA

Tom Almy doesn't own XLISP.  I wrote it and continue to maintain it.  He
has taken it (with my permission) and evolved it into his own XLISP-PLUS
language.  I'd love to see what other people have done with XLISP.  M.
L. James, please post your version (or at least send it to me!).  I'm
interested.

David

--
David Betz
·········@aol.com
From: Tom Almy
David Betz wrote:
> Blake McBride wrote:
> > Rudi Strasser wrote:
> > > We have our own version of xlisp (with enhancements) that runs on UNIX
> > > as well as on VMS. It will be release to the public domain soon.
> >
> > I hope you will first sync this with Tom Almy.  Lord knows we don't need
> > another xlisp branch!

> Tom Almy doesn't own XLISP.  I wrote it and continue to maintain it.  He
> has taken it (with my permission) and evolved it into his own XLISP-PLUS
> language.

Of course I intentionally changed the name of my "hacked" version of
your code
to "XLISP-PLUS" to avoid possible confusion. I only hope that this new
version
is given some new name as well! I'd be most interested to know how the
UNIX
version compares with the (also XLISP derivitive) WINTERP. This is the
first
time I've heard of a VMS port.

--
Tom Almy -- ········@tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply, including:
From: David Betz
Tom Almy wrote:

> Of course I intentionally changed the name of my "hacked" version of
> your code to "XLISP-PLUS" to avoid possible confusion.

Actually, I wouldn't call XLISP-PLUS a "hacked" version of XLISP.  It's
a very nice evolution of my simple language.  I think you did a great
service to the XLISP community by building and supporting it.

I would just like to think I too can still use the XLISP name for my
evolution of the language.  In my mind, XLISP was a concept not a
particular language design.  I wanted a small simple Lisp that supported
object-oriented programming.  My idea of what that means has changed
over the years and so has XLISP.  I suppose XScheme was a better name
for what I'm working on now but that name had the problem that people
expected it to track the RxRS reports on Scheme and I wasn't always in
agreement with those reports.  Renaming it to XLISP decoupled me from
either the Scheme or the Common Lisp standards and allowed me to take
the good parts of both to build a language I was comfortable with.  I
think what I have now is still in the spirit of what XLISP 1.0 set out
to be so I think it still deserves to be called by that name.

David Betz

--
David Betz
·········@aol.com
From: Blake McBride
David Betz wrote:

> Tom Almy wrote:
> >
> > Of course I intentionally changed the name of my "hacked" version of
> > your code to "XLISP-PLUS" to avoid possible confusion.
>
> Actually, I wouldn't call XLISP-PLUS a "hacked" version of XLISP.  It's
> a very nice evolution of my simple language.  I think you did a great
> service to the XLISP community by building and supporting it.
>
> I would just like to think I too can still use the XLISP name for my
> evolution of the language.  In my mind, XLISP was a concept not a
> particular language design.  I wanted a small simple Lisp that supported
> object-oriented programming.  My idea of what that means has changed
> over the years and so has XLISP.  I suppose XScheme was a better name
> for what I'm working on now but that name had the problem that people
> expected it to track the RxRS reports on Scheme and I wasn't always in
> agreement with those reports.  Renaming it to XLISP decoupled me from
> either the Scheme or the Common Lisp standards and allowed me to take
> the good parts of both to build a language I was comfortable with.  I
> think what I have now is still in the spirit of what XLISP 1.0 set out
> to be so I think it still deserves to be called by that name.
>
> David Betz

It seems to me that Almy's (not to imply that he necessarily owns
anything
but seems to be the person organizing and contributing to it) XLISP-PLUS
is clearly a great evolution of Betz's XLISP 2.x.  Given the countless
improvements and bug fixes XLISP-PLUS contains over Betz's last 2.x
release
I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to use XLISP 1.x or 2.x.  It
seems clear to me that if anyone wanted to jump in on the development of
XLISP 2.x development they'd start with the latest XLISP-PLUS.

Thanks to David Betz's great work XLISP has been around for many years
now.
The mark XLISP has come to mean something.  It started out at some point
and has had nearly linier development up to and including Almy's latest
XLISP-PLUS.  When someone uses the work XLISP they are refering to this
body
of work.

As David stated he started out on a TOTALLY new development path called
XScheme.
XScheme used an entirely different philosophy and bears little (if any)
resembilence
to the XLISP development path at any point.  David says people didn't
like the name
XScheme because it didn't follow the scheme standard.  But, keep in mind
that it
surely doesn't follow any lisp standard either.  This is not to say that
XScheme
is not a very interesting piece of work in its own right though.
XScheme (like
XLISP) is a lot of fun and very interesting.  We all greatly appreciate
David's
work.

Now David has decided to call XScheme XLISP 3.0.  Why?!?  I can think of
several very
strong reasons why he shouldn't.

The XScheme and XLSIP projects are totally unrelated.  One does not
superceed
the other.  Calling XScheme XLISP 3.x implies that it is a continuation
of the
XLISP project and it clearly is not.  Calling two unrelated packages
XLISP just
confuses the programming comunity and further alianates the world from
lisp.

David, can't you just call the new system XScheme as you did before?
The XLSIP
path is still highly regarded and appreciated, and is far from dead.
Let's not
murky up the waters by calling every experimental lisp with object
enhancements
XLISP.

Again, David, we all greatly appreciate XLISP AND XScheme and you.  In
addition,
Tom has done a fantastic job of maintaining XLISP over the last many
years!  Can't
we continue XLISP with Tom's version and coordination?  And can't we
call your project
XScheme and develop it under your coordination?

From: Bob Hyman
In article <·············@edge.net>, Blake McBride
<·····@edge.net> says:

> The mark XLISP has come to mean something.  It started out at
> some point and has had nearly linier development up to and
> including Almy's latest XLISP-PLUS.  When someone uses the
> work XLISP they are refering to this body of work.

It seems that you are using the word XLISP in an imprecise manner
to refer to the work that is properly called XLISP-PLUS.

> I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to use XLISP 1.x or
> 2.x.  It seems clear to me that if anyone wanted to jump in on
> the development of XLISP 2.x development they'd start with the
> latest XLISP-PLUS.

Well, I find XLISP 1.x useful for study.  And, a person might
want to use XLISP 1.x etc. as a starting point for their own
thread of development.  Where do you think XLISP-PLUS came from?

Bob Hyman - old XLISP hacker