From: Mark A. Stevens
Subject: CMUCL and CLX Question
I've given up try to make GCL and CLX work and now I'm trying to get
the CMUCL and CLX packages for Solaris 2 (SunOS 5) to work.

I've got CMU's LISP running on my system (sparc4m running Solaris 2.4)
and when I get errors, the debug screen comes up on my X-Window server
(Pentium running Linux 1.3.20), but I can't get CLX to open a window.
It seems to boil down to the following:

I loaded the following packages:

(in-package 'CLX)
(in-package 'SI)

and then loaded a demo program from the CLX distribution I got for GCL 2.xL

(load "/opt/local/src/gcl/CLX-5.02-gcl-2.1/demo/menu.l")

The debugger kicks in after I enter the following line:

(xlib::just-say-lisp "")

and I get the "Error Message:" in an X Window, named Debugger:

Error in function XLIB::OPEN-X-STREAM:
Failed to connect to X11 server: (display 0)

This is displayed in the X window created by the CMUCL debugger. So, if
it couldn't find it, how come I've got an X window telling me it can't
find the display? I'm seriously confused here.

Can anyone help?
--
Mark A. Stevens                      Phone:    708-235-2204
Systems Programmer/Administrator     Internet: ····@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: CMUCL and CLX Question
····@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Mark A. Stevens) writes:

>I've given up try to make GCL and CLX work and now I'm trying to get
>the CMUCL and CLX packages for Solaris 2 (SunOS 5) to work.

>I've got CMU's LISP running on my system (sparc4m running Solaris 2.4)
>and when I get errors, the debug screen comes up on my X-Window server
>(Pentium running Linux 1.3.20), but I can't get CLX to open a window.
>It seems to boil down to the following:

>I loaded the following packages:

>(in-package 'CLX)
>(in-package 'SI)

>and then loaded a demo program from the CLX distribution I got for GCL 2.xL

>(load "/opt/local/src/gcl/CLX-5.02-gcl-2.1/demo/menu.l")

>The debugger kicks in after I enter the following line:

>(xlib::just-say-lisp "")

>and I get the "Error Message:" in an X Window, named Debugger:

>Error in function XLIB::OPEN-X-STREAM:
>Failed to connect to X11 server: (display 0)

>This is displayed in the X window created by the CMUCL debugger. So, if
>it couldn't find it, how come I've got an X window telling me it can't
>find the display? I'm seriously confused here.

The Motif debugger is a standalone process, the debugger X11 window is
not opened by the Lisp process. The Motif debugger does not use CLX.

For CLX, I seem to recall something about the syntax of the display
specification. Something linke adding a ".0", i.e. try "hostname:0.0"
when you previously tried "hostname:0".

If it still doesn't work, please post the display specification you
use.

Martin
--
···············@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536