From: Mark A. Stevens
Subject: GCL 2.2.2 and CLX 5.02 Problems
I have successfully installed GCL 2.2.2 with the Tcl/Tk interface. I
know because I can get the demos to run on one machine (gcl and CLX run
on a Sun sparc4m with Solaris 2.4 built with gcc 2.7.2) and display on
my machine (Linux 1.3.20 on a 166Mhz Pentium with an X11R6 xdm server).

However, when I tried to get CLX to display the simple hello-world
window, it fails.  This is what I enter in gcl:

(load "/opt/local/src/gcl/CLX-5.02-gcl-2.1/provide.l")
(load "/opt/local/src/gcl/CLX-5.02-gcl-2.1/defsystem.l")
(load-clx "/usr/local/src/gcl/CLX-5.02-gcl-2.1/sparc/")
(si::use-fast-links nil)
(IN-PACKAGE 'XLIB :USE '(LISP))
(provide 'CLX)
(load "demo/hello.l")
(xlib::hello-world "" :string "This space for rent.")

For my troubles I get:

Error: Cannot connect to server: :0
Error signalled by OPEN-DISPLAY.
Broken at SYSTEM::BREAK-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.

I have defined DISPLAY for my X server on the PC and have xhost set to
allow displays to be created from the Sun.  I tried to replace the null
string in the invocation:

(xlib::hello-world "my.machine.name.edu" :string "This space for rent.")

but then I get:

calling 'dl' function sun did not supply..exitting

and I'm ungraciously thrown out of gcl. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Thanks!
--
Mark A. Stevens                      Phone:    708-235-2204
Systems Programmer/Administrator     Internet: ····@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
From: Mark A. Stevens
Subject: Re: GCL 2.2.2 and CLX 5.02 Problems
In article <··········@ecom2.ecn.bgu.edu>,
Mark A. Stevens <····@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu> wrote:
>I have successfully installed GCL 2.2.2 with the Tcl/Tk interface. I
>know because I can get the demos to run on one machine (gcl and CLX run
>on a Sun sparc4m with Solaris 2.4 built with gcc 2.7.2) and display on
>my machine (Linux 1.3.20 on a 166Mhz Pentium with an X11R6 xdm server).
>
>However, when I tried to get CLX to display the simple hello-world
>window, it fails.  This is what I enter in gcl:

As a followup to my own posting. I think I've narrowed the problem down to:

(open-display "my.own.machine.edu")
calling 'dl' function sun did not supply..exitting

I searched for a dl function in the CLX code, but to no avail. Has
anyone seen an error like this?