From: Steve Majewski
Subject: Re: XLISP-STAT: Can I change standard font?
Dominic Early  wrote on news:comp.lang.lisp, news:comp.lang.lisp.x :
( This reply CCed to <··············@umnstat.stat.umn.edu> -- you
  might have better luck with questions there! )

>I am using XLISP-STAT and am building a system which uses an embedded
>high level language, as part of my PhD research.  I would like to be able
>use non-standard characters and am wondering if it is possible to easily
>change the default font used by the system?  I am using a PowerMac with
>XLISP STAT 3.48b, and had thought about hacking the system file to modify
>the font at a system level but would much rather something less hacky.
>If you can think of a cross platform solution all the better!

If you create or edit a "XLS Preferences" file in the same directory as the

XLISP-STAT application, you can put in lines like:

	ListenerFontSize 12
	ListenerFontName  Monaco
	EditFontName Courier
	EditFontSize 12
	GraphFontName  Helvetica
	GraphFontSize 10
	Color yes

to change some of the defaults. However, this does *not* change the System
font (Chicago) that is used to draw the window title bars, menus, etc.
For that, you either need to either hack the system resourecs to do it
globally, or modify XlispStat to do it locally.
[ "XLS Preferences" is documented in the doc/changes.* file ]

>I am also trying to construct some complex dialog boxes under XLISP-STAT,
>if
>anyone has any examples I would be very greatful for some sample code.  A
>particular problem I am having at the moment is with list-item-proto's.  I
>override their :do-action method to do something but this method is not
>called when I single click on the list-item-proto, only when I double
click
>on it.  Is this (dare I say it!) a bug or a deliberate feature?  I just
>think it strange when the parameter list for the standard :do-action
>method
>is as follows do action(&optional dbl-click) which has a boolean parameter
>indicating whether it is a double-click or not, yet the method is only
>called on a double click, making the parameter redundant!
>
>What can I say about XLISP-STAT, its a great system, cheers Luke T. & co!

------
Example 1: non-modal-dialog  -- the :action methods for each item
  modify the target when clicked. This makes a non-modal dialog window
  that allows setting of the graphs x & y max and turns on full view or
  partial scrolling. ( I note that my list-item also requires a double
click --
  I guessing this is a feature. ) This is one of my earliest attempts. I'ld

  probably  do it differently now:
------

( defmeth scatterplot-proto :make-range-widget ()
  ( let* ((xmax ( cadr (send self :range 0)))
          (ymax ( cadr (send self :range 1)))
          (hmax-label  ( send text-item-proto :new "Horiz. max:" ))
          (hmax-value  ( send text-item-proto :new "" :text-length 4 ))
          (hmax-scroll ( send interval-scroll-item-proto :new  ( list 1
xmax )
                              :text-item hmax-value
                               :action #'(lambda (x) ( send self :range 0 0
x ))))
          (vmax-label  ( send text-item-proto :new "Vert. max:" ))
          (vmax-value  ( send text-item-proto :new "" :text-length 6 ))
          (vmax-values (nice-dseq ymax))
          (vmax-scroll ( send sequence-scroll-item-proto :new  vmax-values

                             :text-item vmax-value
                             :action #'(lambda (y) (send self :range 1 0 y
))))
          (hs-top  ( send text-item-proto :new "Horiz. Scroll range:" ))
          (hscroll ( send list-item-proto :new
                         ( list "None" "1/2" "1/3" "1/4" "1/5"  )
:selection 0
                         :action
                          #'(lambda (n)
                              ( when n
                                     ( let (( n ( send hscroll :selection
)))
                                       (send self :has-h-scroll
                                             ( if (zerop n) nil
                                                  (* (car (send self
:size)) (1+ n)))))))))
          (vscroll (send toggle-item-proto :new "use vertical scroll" )))

------
example 2: modal dialog. For a modal dialog, you usually don't need an
:action for
 the dialog items except for the final OK that dismisses the dialog. That
needs
 to gather up all of the :text or :value values from the items.

When called with something like:
	( setf dlg ( many-strings-dialog
  		"Experimenter:" "Specimen-ID:" "Structure:" "Treatment" ))
	( send dlg :modal-dialog )

It will return something like:
	(("Experimenter:" "Steve") ("Specimen-ID:" "10111") ("Structure:" "Cyto")

			("Treatment" "control") ("Comments:" ""))

[ i.e. a list of labels and their edit-text entries. ]
and when you call :modal-dialog again, it will appear with those values as
the
 new defaults.
------

( defun ledit ( label &optional ( def  "" ) ( tlen 40 ))
  ( list
    ( send text-item-proto :new label :size '( 100 16 ))
    ( send edit-text-item-proto :new def
            :size '( 200 16 ))))

( defun many-strings-dialog ( &rest labels )
  ( let* (( items ( mapcar #'ledit labels ))
          ( items ( append items ( list ( list
                           (send text-item-proto
                                 :new "Comments:"
                                 :size '( 100 16) )
                           (send edit-text-item-proto
                                 :new ""
                                 :size '( 200 100 ))))))
          ( d ( send ok-or-cancel-dialog-proto :new items :show nil
                    :ok-action
                     #'(lambda ()
                         ( split-list
                           ( sendtoall (combine items) :text ) 2 )))))
    d ))

----
Steve Majewski <·····@Virginia.EDU>