From: Patrick Durusau
Subject: Allegro Cont. Problem
Hello,

Thanks for all the suggestions on getting past the earlier error
messages I posted to the group.  I still have not successfully installed
Allegro 4.3 and have the following error messages:

(After a screen detailing the install options the following appears:)

Removing ucl, static.0 and nihroutines.0
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:1: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:1: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:1: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:41: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:41: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:41: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:72: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:72: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:72: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:206: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:206: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:206: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:230: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:230: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:230: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:249: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:249: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:249: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:251: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:251: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:251: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:268: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:268: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:268: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:289: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:289: numerical constant with no digits
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:289: invalid #line
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:308: parse error at null character
/tmp/ccaoo252.i:308: virtual memory exhausted
make: *** {cl_hih} Error 1

I am running Linux 2.0.27 (Slackware) on a 486 PC with 32 MB of RAM and
gcc
2.7.2.1. (Note on the virtual memory being exhausted at end of errors,
df -k . reveals > 16 MB of space for /tmp).

I have written to the Franz bug-list but don't really expect any reply
since
the Linux port is unsupported. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Patrick

Patrick Durusau
Information Technology
Scholars Press
········@emory.edu

From: Steve Austin
Subject: Re: Allegro Cont. Problem
On Tue, 04 Mar 1997 10:18:16 -0500, Patrick Durusau <········@emory.edu> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Thanks for all the suggestions on getting past the earlier error
>messages I posted to the group.  I still have not successfully installed
>Allegro 4.3 and have the following error messages:

No doubt this is a dumb question, but did the prebuilt binary not run on
your system?

Steve Austin                                   Powered by Linux since 1995
·······@nf.sympatico.ca                                      RedHat 2.0.18
From: Patrick Durusau
Steve,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post. No, the prebuilt binary
terminates with a segmentation fault.

Patrick

From: eric dahlman
Patrick Durusau <········@emory.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions on getting past the earlier error
> messages I posted to the group.  I still have not successfully installed
> Allegro 4.3 and have the following error messages:
>
> (After a screen detailing the install options the following appears:)
>
> Removing ucl, static.0 and nihroutines.0
> /tmp/ccaoo252.i:1: numerical constant with no digits
> /tmp/ccaoo252.i:1: numerical constant with no digits

This error has to do with some changes between GCC 2.7.2 and
2.7.2.1. I don't recall exactly what it was but something changed, the
fix was to upgrade some library (could have been libc but don't quote
me on that).  I was also having some other problems with bad version
skew on my system so I just down loaded the newest distribution and
reinstalled, so I cannot tell you exactly what to do to fix your
problem.  However, I have not had any problems with the new
system... except for some real stupid stuff Red Hat did to the default
networking setup. but that is a topic for another newsgroup.

The long and the short of it is that this sounds like a GCC version
skew problem.

You mentioned elsewhere that the prebuilt image seg faults, this may
also be the result of the image using libraries which are out of sync
with what it expects.  So, if my ever so clumsy estimation of your
problem is correct if you upgrade the correct library all of your
problems may disappear. :-)

Good luck,
Eric