From: ····@pap.com
Subject: PRACTICAL APPLICATION  EXPO97 REPORT
PRACTICAL APPLICATION  EXPO97 REPORT
                                London 21-25 April 1997

The Practical Application Company is pleased to announce the success
of PA EXPO97.

The week, attended by nearly 300 delegates from 32 countries, provided
a unique insight into leading-edge applications, systems, development
tools, and techniques, for solving real-world problems in business,
industry, and commerce.

Once again the PA EXPO series of conferences proved to be a world
leading event and this year featured:

PAAM97 - The Practical Application of Intelligent Agents and
Multi-Agents
PADD97 - The Practical Application of Knowledge Discovery and Data
Mining PACT97 - The Practical Application of Constraint Technology
PAP97 - The Practical Application of Prolog

Each event provided a forum for information exchange and included a
rich blend of tutorials, invited talks, refereed papers, panel
discussions, a poster session, social agenda and a full industrial
exhibition. The result was an ideal forum for the exchange of ideas
and knowledge, between experts from a broad spectrum of industries and
technologies.

A joint Exhibition was shared by all the exhibitors at PA EXPO, and
provided displays of fielded applications and developments tools from
BMC Software, CompulogNet, Compuware, Cosytec, IF Computer, ILOG, ISL,
LPA and Rank Xerox.

PAAM, the flagship event  of PA EXPO, attracted 135 participants and
over 60 submitted papers.  Tutorials came from Pattie Maes (MIT),
Jeffrey Bradshaw (Boeing), Barney Pell (NASA) and Tim Finin (the
University of Maryland).
Keynote addresses were provided by Benjamin Grosof (IBM), Toru Ishida,
(Kyoto University) and Donald Steiner (Siemens AG).
There were also two panel discussions: Agents in Commerce chaired by
Christine Guilfoyle of The Trefoyle Partnership and Multi Agent
Systems:The Successor to Autonomous Agents?, chaired by Nick Jennings
of Queen Mary and Westfield College.

PADD was the new event for 1997 initiated in recognition of the
emerging level of interest in knowledge discovery and data mining.
PADD demonstrated how a wealth of opportunities are available through
the use of this technology.

Tutorials came from Usama Fayyad (Microsoft)  and Evangelos Simoudis
(IBM)
Blaise Egan, Huw Roberts (BT Laboratories) and Luc De Raedt (Catholic
University of Leuven). Keynote addresses by Stephen Muggleton (Oxford
University), Usama Fayyad (Microsoft), Xindong Wu (Monash University),
Guy Rafferty
(Red Brick Systems) and Neil Mackin (White Cross Systems).

PACT continues to be the premier forum for constraint applications and
systems and provided tutorials from Helmut Simonis (Cosytec), and
Henri Beringer (ILOG) and Mike Pegman (Vine Solutions Ltd). Keynote
addresses from Peter Van Beek (University of Alberta) and Mark Wallace
(Imperial College/ICL)

PAP is the leading showcase of Prolog applications and systems.  Now
in its fifth year, PAP continued to  demonstrate the benefits in
productivity, reduced maintenance and flexible solutions that Prolog
can provide.
Tutorials from Phil Vasey (LPA) , Andrew Davison (Prince of Songkla
University)
Keynote Addresses from John Fox (I C R F), Peter Reintjes (NetSpeak),
Oskar Bartenstein (IF Computer) and Larry  Lucardie (Andersen
Consulting).

PA EXPO97 also included a special guest CompulogNet Tutorial from
Manuel Hermenegildo (Polytechnic University of Madrid) on Building
Internet Applications using Computational Logic Systems, designed to
be of special interest to the Agent and Prolog communities.

Proceedings for all the events are now available from the Practical
Application Company.

Next year PA EXPO98 will take place in London in March and will also
include a new event, PAKeM - The Practical Application of Knowledge
Management.

To register interest in next years events please take the time to fill
in this quick reply form and send it to ····@pap.com

Name:

Position:

Address:

Postcode:

Country:

Telephone:

Fax:

E-mail:

Web:

[ ]     I may submit a paper to PAAM98 (Give provisional title if
possible)

[ ]     I may submit a paper to PADD98 (Give provisional title if
possible)

[ ]     I may submit a paper to PAP/PACT98 (Give provisional title if
possible)

[ ]     I may submit a paper to PAKeM98 (Give provisional title if
possible)

[ ]     I may wish to attend PAAM98 as a delegate

[ ]     I may wish to attend PADD98 as a delegate

[ ]     I may wish to attend PAP/PACT98 as a delegate

[ ]     I may wish to attend PAKeM98 as a delegate

[ ]     My company may wish to sponsor or exhibit at the event