From: Vasudev Dalal
Subject: Using sockets in Common LISP
Hello all :

	I would like to know if any-one has used "sockets"
in Common LISP.

	I looked at the FAQS entry -

[snip]
Subject: [2-15] How can I have two Lisp processes communicate via unix
sockets?

CLX uses Unix sockets to communicate with the X window server. Look at
the following files from the CLX distribution for a good example of
using Unix sockets from Lisp:
        defsystem.lisp          Lucid, AKCL, IBCL, CMU.
        socket.c, sockcl.lisp   AKCL, IBCL
        excldep.lisp            Franz Allegro CL
You will need the "socket.o" files which come with Lucid and Allegro.
To obtain CLX, see the entry for CLX in the answer to question [7-1].

See the file sockets.tar.gz in the Lisp Utilities repository
described in the answer to question [6-1].

[snip]

	But it does not list Common LISP and also it would
help if someone has a simple example for me to look at,
as I am a novice with LISP.

	Any input is appreciated.

	TIA.

Vasu
·······@omega.uta.edu

From: Vasudev Dalal
Subject: Re: Using sockets in Common LISP
Hello all :

 I am a novice with LISP.

 I would like to look at an example for the implementation of a
simple "socket"	in LISP ( using Common LISP ) . If anyone has
done this before can they share the code/implementation with me OR
atleast point me to some other resource which has some code examples
I can look at.

 	Any input is appreciated.

 	TIA.

 Vasu
 ·······@omega.uta.edu
From: Jim Veitch
Vasudev Dalal wrote:

> Hello all :
>
>  I am a novice with LISP.
>
>  I would like to look at an example for the implementation of a
> simple "socket" in LISP ( using Common LISP ) . If anyone has
> done this before can they share the code/implementation with me OR
> atleast point me to some other resource which has some code examples
> I can look at.
>
>         Any input is appreciated.
>
>         TIA.
>
>  Vasu
>  ·······@omega.uta.edu

The Franz cover story for the last few months has covered use of sockets
and building a simple Web server in Allegro CL.

Regards,

Jim Veitch
Franz Inc.
http://www.franz.com
From: Daniel Poirot
> I would like to look at an example for the implementation of a
>simple "socket"	in LISP ( using Common LISP ) . If anyone has
>done this before can they share the code/implementation with me OR
>atleast point me to some other resource which has some code examples
>I can look at.

If you are using Allegro, look at the Franz home page.

Franz has some network programming examples at:

http://www.franz.com/frames/technotes.main.html

They also include source for some of the files but only binaries for
the really good stuff ;-(

- danp