From: Carolyn Goodman Plampin
Subject: Rebuilding an unknown Lisp object
Greetings Lispers:

Suppose you saw a file containing the following and were given the job
of re-creating the original object. What do you think the original
object was and what code would you use to re-create it?

I'm not trying to test you. This is an actual file and I do not know
if the "original object" is in fact one object, several objects, or
what kind of object it is.

Best regards,
Randyl Kent Plampin

(Version Page\ Numbering 2)
(Version Auto\ Numbering 1)
(Page\ Numbering
  (Named\ Stream tables_c
    (Style 1)
    (Starting 36))
  (Named\ Stream \
    (Starting = 1)
    (Begin Odd))
  (Pages 7))
(Auto\ Numbering
  (Stream list
    (Level 0
      (Prefix :ref\.)
      (Suffix \.)
      (Show 0))
    (Deltas 17)
    (Restart 1)
    (FirstLevel 0)
    (Tag 6sTkfdos-
      (Page 6)
      (Deltas 13)
      (Restart 1))
    (Tag YGhkfdos-
      (Page 6)
      (Deltas 17)
      (Restart 1))))

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Rebuilding an unknown Lisp object
In article <············@ix.netcom.com>,
Carolyn Goodman Plampin  <········@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Suppose you saw a file containing the following and were given the job
>of re-creating the original object. What do you think the original
>object was and what code would you use to re-create it?

It looks like a file format being used by a word processing or page layout
program.  Internally, the program probably uses CLOS instances or DEFSTRUCT
to represent the data.  The details of these data structures are virtually
impossible to determine from the output.  This would be like trying to
determine a spreadsheet program's internal data formats by looking at a
printout.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
BBN Corporation, Cambridge, MA
From: William Paul Vrotney
In article <············@ix.netcom.com> Carolyn Goodman Plampin <········@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Greetings Lispers:
>
> Suppose you saw a file containing the following and were given the job
> of re-creating the original object. What do you think the original
> object was and what code would you use to re-create it?
>
> I'm not trying to test you. This is an actual file and I do not know
> if the "original object" is in fact one object, several objects, or
> what kind of object it is.
>
> Best regards,
> Randyl Kent Plampin
>
> (Version Page\ Numbering 2)
> (Version Auto\ Numbering 1)
> (Page\ Numbering
>   (Named\ Stream tables_c
>     (Style 1)
>     (Starting 36))
>   (Named\ Stream \
>     (Starting = 1)
>     (Begin Odd))
>   (Pages 7))

It looks something like a Visual Thought output file.  If not it might be a
word processor output file of some sort like Visual Thought.  Using
parentheses as delineators, it might be just coincidental that it looks like
Lisp.

--

William P. Vrotney - ·······@netcom.com