From: Dave Phillips
Subject: I need help compiling GCL
I'm having the devil's own time trying to get up a working version of
Lisp. I'm using a Linux box with kernel 2.0.29 and GCC 2.7.2. My latest
attempt was at GCL 2.2: it failed with "No rule to make ` ' required by
`all'" and I'm damned if I can figure out what to do next.

At this point I'm backing up and will try to compile GCL 2.1. If anyone
has some useful advice for a Linux build please email me.

Btw, I also tried various pre-built binaries, came up with a variety of
undefined references, went back to trying my own build.

TIA...

== Dave Phillips

   http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
From: Thomas Fischbacher
Subject: Re: I need help compiling GCL
Dave Phillips <·······@bright.net> writes:

> I'm having the devil's own time trying to get up a working version of
> Lisp. I'm using a Linux box with kernel 2.0.29 and GCC 2.7.2. My latest
> attempt was at GCL 2.2:

Very similar to my config.

Yes, indeed, GCL can be devilish. But it has played so many tricks on
me I think I know what to do in which case pretty well by now...

> it failed with "No rule to make ` ' required by
> `all'" and I'm damned if I can figure out what to do next.

1. Have you tried gcl2.2.1beta ?
2. In which directory did it fail? gcl-tk? :-)

--

regards,

Thomas Fischbacher -                      ··@another.gun.de
                                          ········@informatik.tu-muenchen.de