From: Juergen Nickelsen
Subject: Re: regular expression package for Common Lisp?
Aleksandar Bakic <········@brazil.tcimet.net> wrote:

> Is there something like a regular expression package
> in Common Lisp? Or any utilities for work with strings?

I found a freely available package written by Sudhir Shenoy, which seems
to be quite complete. I didn't examine it thoroughly, but at least it
fitted my (limited, and not performace-related) needs. Either he has
announced his package on comp.lang.lisp or I found it on the MCL archive
at http://www.digitool.com/. You may also find it by searching the web
for his name -- I don't know.

If you have trouble locating the package by the means mentioned, I can
mail you his address or even the package itself. (I don't want to
publish his e-mail address in the news because of the spammers.)

--
Juergen Nickelsen

From: Thomas A. Russ
 > Aleksandar Bakic <········@brazil.tcimet.net> wrote:
 >
 >> Is there something like a regular expression package
 >> in Common Lisp? Or any utilities for work with strings?

There are two regular expression packages at the CMU lisp archives (see
the FAQ for the exact location).  I use the nregex.cl package and am
quite happy with it.

It is a very Lispy implementation, since it takes advantage of the fact
that you can call the compiler at runtime to produce a fast, specialized
function for recognizing a regular expression.  This is particularly
good if you are doing the same REGEX test over a large number of strings
(which is what we do).

The only real drawback is that it isn't possible to use it in most Lisp
systems distributable runtime systems, since they require disabling the
compiler.

From: ·······@NOSPAMgol.com
In article <···············@sevak.isi.edu>, ···@isi.edu wrote:

|>There are two regular expression packages at the CMU lisp archives (see
|>the FAQ for the exact location).  I use the nregex.cl package and am
|>quite happy with it.
|>
|>It is a very Lispy implementation, since it takes advantage of the fact
|>that you can call the compiler at runtime to produce a fast, specialized
|>function for recognizing a regular expression.  This is particularly
|>good if you are doing the same REGEX test over a large number of strings
|>(which is what we do).
|>
|>The only real drawback is that it isn't possible to use it in most Lisp
|>systems distributable runtime systems, since they require disabling the
|>compiler.
|>
|>--
|>Thomas A. Russ,  USC/Information Sciences Institute          ···@isi.edu

There is also a regexp package I wrote sometime last year which is
available at ftp.digitool.com. To my knowledge it is not available
elsewhere (but it is freely redistributable). Look for regexp.tar.gz
or regexp.sit.hqx depending on whether or not you want it for the
Macintosh.

It offers full POSIX syntax including backrefs and OR clauses.
However it is not 'lisp like' in the sense of the above mail. On the
other hand it offers decent performance. There are a couple
of small bugs which I have fixes for. I haven't got around to posting
them yet because I've been off the net for a while.

Cheers
Sudhir