From: Aaron Sloman See text for reply address
Subject: linux poplog (pop11, prolog, common lisp, ml)
The linux version of Poplog as produced by ISL will not work if you
don't have motif. Previously I posted a message saying that it was
possible to relink Poplog so as to exclude the X facilities, after
which it would start up without Motif, but excluding any X
functionality.

Since then, thanks to help from John Gibson at Sussex University I have
discovered how to relink linux poplog so that X functionality remains,
but without requiring Motif. The answer is very simple:

If you have the ELF version of poplog linux that requires motif and you
wish to relink so that it runs without motif, make sure that you have
write permission for these directories and files in them:

    $usepop/pop/pop/
    $usepop/pop/lib/psv/
    $usepop/pop/extern/lib/

Then do
    cd $popsrc
    ./newpop -link -x=-xt -xpw

This will relink basepop11 in $usepop/pop/pop/ and create new saved
images for Pop-11 Common Lisp, Prolog, etc. in $usepop/pop/lib/psv

For full details read
    $usepop/pop/help/newpop

Additional saved images can be created using the mk* files in either
    $popcom/

or, if you have a local directory with suitable contents,  in
    $poplocal/local/com/

Note: although all the four Poplog languages will work after this
(Pop11, Common Lisp, Prolog, and ML), and the editor Ved will work both
in its dumb VDU format and as Xved, it will not have buttons and menus,
and the propsheet and pop_ui facilities will not work: they need
openlook or motif.

However my RCLIB package, which is based on the Poplog widget set, not
on Motif, does work and can be used to build automatically formatted
control panels with buttons, sliders menus, draggable pictures, etc.

It is freely available to poplog users, and can be fetched from the
Birmingham Poplog ftp directory in the gzipped tar file
    rctar.gz

in

    ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/

This directory also contains a Pop-11 primer in plain text, latex, or
postscript format.

The README file gives more information including information on how to
get Poplog from the suppliers, Integral Solutions Ltd, who are at

    http://www.isl.co.uk/

Aaron
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs )