From: Roger Kehr
Subject: CMUCL: defclass and defgeneric
	Hello out there,

I frequently program in CLOS and I had a look at CMUCL.

CMUCL always tells me at the end of a compilation that it does not
know anything about the defined classes and methods.

What is the right way to inform CMUCL that classes defined via
defclass are types, and that generic functions are functions ?

BTW: Allegro CL and CLISP do not have any problems with that.

I suspect that a certain kind of eval-when is necesary...

Any hints are welcome.

Best regards,

Roger

Roger Kehr			   ยทยทยทยท@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de
Computer Science Department          Technical University of Darmstadt
From: Mark McConnell
Subject: Re: CMUCL: defclass and defgeneric
Roger Kehr wrote:

> CMUCL always tells me at the end of a compilation that it does not
> know anything about the defined classes and methods.
>
> What is the right way to inform CMUCL that classes defined via
> defclass are types, and that generic functions are functions ?

In my experience, you don't have to.  The compiler issues the warnings
sometime during the middle of the compilation process, but, by the
time the code is loaded, it knows all about your classes and
methods.  A CMUCL guru could explain more precisely.

Here is a quick fix: first load your code in interpreted mode

   (load "foo.lisp")

and _then_ compile it

   (compile-file "foo" :error-output nil :error-file t :load t)

[Then look at the file cow.err]