From: Offy255
Subject: Best way to get Symbolics LISP
 I am a newbie with Lisp.I think what I need is a Symbolics Lisp Machine,a
set of Mac Ivory cards or the Open Genera.Is any of this stuff available
on the secondhand market?Who would deal in this sort of thing?
 Is the TI Lisp environment still a usable alternative?

From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: Best way to get Symbolics LISP
On Sat, Jul 19, 1997 1:33 PM, Offy255 <··············@aol.com> wrote:
> I am a newbie with Lisp.I think what I need is a Symbolics Lisp Machine,a
>set of Mac Ivory cards or the Open Genera.Is any of this stuff available
>on the secondhand market?Who would deal in this sort of thing?
> Is the TI Lisp environment still a usable alternative?

You'll probably get better performance and better hardware reliability from
a new low-end PPC-based Macintosh running MCL 4.1. (See
http://www.digitool.com/MCL.html .)

Dave
From: Mike McDonald
In article <··············@204.202.160.7>,
	"David B. Lamkins" <········@teleport.com> writes:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 1997 1:33 PM, Offy255 <··············@aol.com> wrote:
>> I am a newbie with Lisp.I think what I need is a Symbolics Lisp Machine,a
>>set of Mac Ivory cards or the Open Genera.Is any of this stuff available
>>on the secondhand market?Who would deal in this sort of thing?
>> Is the TI Lisp environment still a usable alternative?

SRI unloaded a bunch of their machines recently. I got a 3640 from Stanford
University 18 months ago. Symbolics recently has a sale on XL1201s. (Mine's
suppose to be shipped next Monday!) Used Symbolics usually go for very little,
a couple of hundred bucks at most. Often, it's "you come haul it away and it's
yours". What part of the country are you located in? Lisp Machines seem to be
concentrated in the San Francisco Bay, Austin Texas and Boston Mass. ares.
Shipping on some of these machines would be expensive.

> You'll probably get better performance and better hardware reliability from
> a new low-end PPC-based Macintosh running MCL 4.1. (See
> http://www.digitool.com/MCL.html .)
>
> Dave

  Although that gives you a good environment, it's not a Symbolics! :-)

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@engr.sgi.com