From: Bruce L. Lambert, Ph.D.
Subject: CMUCL under Linux with Pentium 266MHz chips
Hi,

Although I've survived for years using CLISP on my 1991 vintage
NeXTstation (running a 25 MHz 68040) and CMUCL on a borrowed Sparc4
account, it's time for an upgrade. I'm contemplating the purchase of a
Dell Dimension with the new 266MHz Pentium II chip (fully loaded for
about US$4200). I plan to run Linux on this machine. Will CMUCL run on
this platform? (I checked www.cons.org, and the answer appears to be yes,
but I wanted more confirmation before making a purchase.) How about CLISP?

Does anybody have a better idea for my next platform�I'm open to
persuasion. I'm doing a lot of document clustering and approximate string
matching. My main needs are Unix and Lisp and SPEED.

Thanks.

-bruce

Bruce L. Lambert, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacy Administration
University of Illinois at Chicago
········@uic.edu
http://ludwig.pmad.uic.edu/~bruce/
Phone: +1 (312) 996-2411
Fax:   +1 (312) 996-0868

From: Aleksandar Bakic
Subject: Re: CMUCL under Linux with Pentium 266MHz chips
Bruce L. Lambert, Ph.D. wrote:
> [...]
> How about CLISP?

CLISP will run. I have an older Dell's model and Slackware Linux.

> Does anybody have a better idea for my next platform�I'm open to
> persuasion. I'm doing a lot of document clustering and approximate string
> matching. My main needs are Unix and Lisp and SPEED.

Have you tried STIL (SGML transformations in Lisp)? It is based on
CLISP and works fine on Linux.

From: Jim Veitch
You could try getting a copy of Allegro CL for Linux.  We give this out
for non-commercial use at no charge (i.e., free).  Visit the Franz Web
site: http://www.franz.com for details on how to get it.  It is reported
by other (non-Franz) people to be quite fast.

Jim Veitch
Franz Inc.

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·············@piglet.cc.uic.edu>, "Bruce L. Lambert, Ph.D."
<········@uic.edu> wrote:

> Does anybody have a better idea for my next platform�I'm open to
> persuasion. I'm doing a lot of document clustering and approximate string
> matching. My main needs are Unix and Lisp and SPEED.

CMU CL seems to be the only free CL on Unix with a good native code
compiler *and* a ongoing support from users.

Still, commercial Common Lisp systems will be able to offer more (though not
the source of the compiler): Support, Multithreading, CL-HTTP
capability , CLIM, DB access, ...

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/