From: Bryan M. Kramer
Subject: Allegro Common Lisp -- Oracle interfaces
Is anyone aware of interfaces (commercial or otherwise) between Oracle
and Allegro Common Lisp?   I'd love to have one that can connect
directly to the Oracle server as a client, receive the results of SQL
queries as a lisp list, one record at a time, and to be able to update
an Oracle table as data is computed.

Thanks
Bryan M. Kramer
Techne Knowledge Systems Inc.

From: Bryan M. Kramer
Subject: Re: Allegro Common Lisp -- Oracle interfaces
······@techne.on.ca ("Bryan M. Kramer") writes:

>Is anyone aware of interfaces (commercial or otherwise) between Oracle
>and Allegro Common Lisp?   I'd love to have one that can connect
>directly to the Oracle server as a client, receive the results of SQL
>queries as a lisp list, one record at a time, and to be able to update
>an Oracle table as data is computed.

>Thanks
>Bryan M. Kramer
>Techne Knowledge Systems Inc.

I forgot to mention that I'd like it for lisp on SParc Solaris (Unix).
Kind of rules out ODBC....
From: Jim Veitch
Bryan M. Kramer wrote:

> ······@techne.on.ca ("Bryan M. Kramer") writes:
>
> >Is anyone aware of interfaces (commercial or otherwise) between Oracle
> >and Allegro Common Lisp?   I'd love to have one that can connect
> >directly to the Oracle server as a client, receive the results of SQL
> >queries as a lisp list, one record at a time, and to be able to update
> >an Oracle table as data is computed.
>
> >Thanks
> >Bryan M. Kramer
> >Techne Knowledge Systems Inc.
>
> I forgot to mention that I'd like it for lisp on SParc Solaris (Unix).
> Kind of rules out ODBC....

I beg to differ, but ODBC is cross-platform.  Drivers exist from all
Unixes (and Windows) to all databases (more or less).  In particular,
ODBC drivers exist which we use and resell with our Allegro ODBC product
from Suns to Oracle (various versions).

From the description you give, it sounds like Allegro ODBC will do
exactly what you ask for.

Regards,

Jim.
From: Don Geddis
On 11 Jul 97 13:09:56 GMT, Bryan M. Kramer <······@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> ······@techne.on.ca ("Bryan M. Kramer") writes:
> >Is anyone aware of interfaces (commercial or otherwise) between Oracle
> >and Allegro Common Lisp?   I'd love to have one that can connect
> >directly to the Oracle server as a client, receive the results of SQL
> >queries as a lisp list, one record at a time, and to be able to update
> >an Oracle table as data is computed.
>
> I forgot to mention that I'd like it for lisp on SParc Solaris (Unix).
> Kind of rules out ODBC....
>
> >Thanks
> >Bryan M. Kramer
> >Techne Knowledge Systems Inc.

Actually, it doesn't rule out ODBC at all.  Contact Franz.  They've got a
Lisp interface to Intersolv's ODBC drivers, which in turn connect to Oracle
(as well as many other databases).

Using that, you can call a lisp function, and get back a lisp list with the
results.

We're doing exactly this, under Sun Solaris.

	-- Don
--
Don Geddis             ······@Tesserae.COM          http://geddis.tesserae.com/
The first thing was, I learned to forgive myself.  Then, I told myself, "Go
From: Don Geddis
On 11 Jul 97 04:11:14 GMT, Bryan M. Kramer <······@techne.on.ca> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of interfaces (commercial or otherwise) between Oracle
> and Allegro Common Lisp?   I'd love to have one that can connect
> directly to the Oracle server as a client, receive the results of SQL
> queries as a lisp list, one record at a time, and to be able to update
> an Oracle table as data is computed.
>
> Thanks
> Bryan M. Kramer
> Techne Knowledge Systems Inc.

Yes, in fact Franz itself sells the third party ODBC middleware from
Intersolv.  And then Franz provides a Lisp library to let you call ODBC
from ACL.  Check www.franz.com for more.

	-- Don
--
Don Geddis             ······@Tesserae.COM          http://geddis.tesserae.com/
Marta said I don't seem to like to read fiction very much.  "I guess you're not