From: Mix
Subject: gcl implementation of loop macro
Hi,
I'm using extended loop macro syntax (as stated in Guy L. Steele "common
lisp", second edition, section 26.3 p. 710)

    (loop while (null res) do
          (print max_depth)
          (setq res (dfs initial_state final_state 1 max_depth))
          (setq max_depth (+ max_depth 1)))

This piece of code runs correctly on CMU CL and on CLISP, but produce
the following error at GCL:

>Compiling stone-puzzle.lisp.
; (DEFUN IDS ...) is being compiled.
;; The variable WHILE is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.
;; The variable DO is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
Finished compiling stone-puzzle.lisp.

IMHO, GCL doesn't include extended loop macro.
Is it true?
Are there any more parts of CL that GCL doesn't include?
--
White Cloud.

Anonymity is used to defeat those (damn) address grabbers.

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: gcl implementation of loop macro
In article <·····················@sirius.infonex.com>,
Mix  <·········@remail.obscura.com> wrote:
>IMHO, GCL doesn't include extended loop macro.
>Is it true?
>Are there any more parts of CL that GCL doesn't include?

I think GCL implements most of CLtL1, and not much of the stuff that was
added in CLtL2.

There are public versions of the LOOP macro that you can download; check
the FAQ for pointers.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
BBN Corporation, Cambridge, MA
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: Barry Margolin <······@bbnplanet.com>
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: 10 Jul 1997 11:18:28 -0400
   Sender: ······@tools.bbnplanet.com

   In article <·····················@sirius.infonex.com>,
   Mix  <·········@remail.obscura.com> wrote:
   >IMHO, GCL doesn't include extended loop macro.
   >Is it true?
   >Are there any more parts of CL that GCL doesn't include?

   I think GCL implements most of CLtL1, and not much of the stuff that was
   added in CLtL2.

Not only that, but GCL stubbornly refuses to include in their standard
build, key CLtL2 additions which *are* available "out there".  LOOP
being one of them as Barry points out.  The other sore point is
DEFPACKAGE.

These are the problems that made me dump GCL in favor of CMUCL.

Cheers
--
Marco Antoniotti
California Path Program - UCB