From: Alex Sau-Leung Lee
Subject: CMU lisp compiler on Solaris 2.5
Hi,

   In our system, we have been using CMU lisp compiler for some time.
   However, recently we discovered that the tools could not be run
   on our Ultra Sparc machines running solaris 2.5.  It seems to us
   that the binaries we got from CMU site is rather old and could not
   run on these new machines.

   We then got the source code and try to compile the compiler.  It
   seems to us it is no easy job.  Just wondering how anyone tried
   doing.

   Any pointers and recommendation are recommended.

regards,
Alex Lee
·······@mae.cuhk.edu.hk

P.S. : Are there some good replacement for CMU lisp compiler ?
       How about GNU GCL ?

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: CMU lisp compiler on Solaris 2.5

See http://www.cons.org/ for information on CMU CL and UltraSPARC..

> P.S. : Are there some good replacement for CMU lisp compiler ?
>        How about GNU GCL ?

Commercial CL compilers (ACL and LispWorks) might be interesting,
too. See http://www.franz.com/ and http://www.harlequin.com/ .
Money to pay = Support + Maintenance + Superior Product. (Atleast
sometimes).

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Martin Cracauer

See http://www.cons.org/cmucl/

>   We then got the source code and try to compile the compiler.  It
>   seems to us it is no easy job.  Just wondering how anyone tried
>   doing.

Wouldn't chance the Ultrasparc issue anyway. Instructions to rebuild
are at the site above.

>P.S. : Are there some good replacement for CMU lisp compiler ?
>       How about GNU GCL ?

No :-)

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%% ···············@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org %%%%%%%%%%%
From: Hrvoje Niksic
·····@mae.cuhk.hk (Alex Sau-Leung Lee) writes:

>    Any pointers and recommendation are recommended.

<URL:http://www.cons.org/> contains pointers to patches for CMU CL to
work on Ultra SPARCs.

> P.S. : Are there some good replacement for CMU lisp compiler ?

Of any kind, or the free ones?  If you or your departmentcan afford to
pay for the compilers, Allegro Common Lisp is said to be "the real
thing" for Unix.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <·······@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
From: Alex Sau-Leung Lee
:    In our system, we have been using CMU lisp compiler for some time.
:    However, recently we discovered that the tools could not be run
:    on our Ultra Sparc machines running solaris 2.5.  It seems to us
:    that the binaries we got from CMU site is rather old and could not
:    run on these new machines.

:    We then got the source code and try to compile the compiler.  It
:    seems to us it is no easy job.  Just wondering how anyone tried
:    doing.

:    Any pointers and recommendation are recommended.

: P.S. : Are there some good replacement for CMU lisp compiler ?
:        How about GNU GCL ?

Thanks the following people.  I could now run CMU lisp 17f on our
ultra sparc workstations.

   Casper Dik, Rainer Joswig Martti Halminen, Martti Halminen.

The workaround file is written by Casper Dik and is located in
  http://www.cons.org/cmucl/lisp-cmucl-ultrasparc-workaround.txt

   However, I also downloaded the CMUCL 18a prerelease
   (cmucl-18a.sparc.solaris24.extra.tar.gz,cmucl-18a.sparc.solaris24.tar.gz)
   and tried using the new version.  In any machines (ultra
   or not, solaris 2.4 and solaris 2.5), I got the following error.
   Any Hints ?

      mapin: mmap: No such device
      ensure_space: Failed to validate 67076096 bytes at 0x01000000

regards,
Alex Lee
·······@mae.cuhk.edu.hk
Mech. and Automation Engineering.