From: Duane Crawford
Subject: research survey
        My name is Duane Crawford, and I am a McNair Scholar at UMBC.  I
am a computer science major currently working on a research project to
find out which computer programming language is most appropriate for
beginning computer science majors.  I would like to know if you can spare
a couple of minutes to help me with my survey on computer programming
languages.  Can you answer the following questions and send them back to
me(·······@gl.umbc.edu) with your comments added. Please forward this
message to anyone who could help.

1.  What programming language do you feel should be taught to first year
    computer science majors?

    [ ] C [ ] Pascal [ ] ML [ ] Fortran
    [ ] C++ [ ] Lisp/Scheme [ ] Modula-2 [ ] Smalltalk
    [ ] Java [ ] Ada [ ] Modula-3 [ ] COBOL
    [ ] APL [ ] BASIC [ ] Prolog [ ] PL/1
    [ ] Other __________________________________________
    If your answer is other please fill in the blank.

2.  Why have you chosen this programming language?

3.  Your chosen language(s) textbooks are _________.
    [ ] above average
    [ ] average
    [ ] below average

4.  Your chosen language is simple.
    [ ] True [ ] False

5.  Your chosen language is practical (everyone uses it).
    [ ] Yes [ ] No

6.  What programming languages do you have experience with?

    [ ] C [ ] Pascal [ ] ML [ ] Fortran
    [ ] C++ [ ] Lisp/Scheme [ ] Modula-2 [ ] Smalltalk
    [ ] Java [ ] Ada [ ] Modula-3 [ ] COBOL
    [ ] APL [ ] BASIC [ ] Prolog [ ] PL/1
    [ ] Other __________________________________________
    If your answer is other please fill in the blank.

7.  What is your occupation and where?

    [ ] student
    [ ] professor
    [ ] other

8.  What programming language were you first introduced to?

    [ ] C [ ] Pascal [ ] ML [ ] Fortran
    [ ] C++ [ ] Lisp/Scheme [ ] Modula-2 [ ] Smalltalk
    [ ] Java [ ] Ada [ ] Modula-3 [ ] COBOL
    [ ] APL [ ] BASIC [ ] Prolog [ ] PL/1
    [ ] Other __________________________________________
    If your answer is other please fill in the blank.

9.  The textbook you used to learn this language was?
    [ ] above average
    [ ] average
    [ ] below average

10. What is the introductory programming language at your current and/or

    [ ] C [ ] Pascal [ ] ML [ ] Fortran
    [ ] C++ [ ] Lisp/Scheme [ ] Modula-2 [ ] Smalltalk
    [ ] Java [ ] Ada [ ] Modula-3 [ ] COBOL
    [ ] APL [ ] BASIC [ ] Prolog [ ] PL/1
    If your answer is other please fill in the blank.

                                                Thanks for your time,
                                                        Duane
From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: research survey