From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: Rational for ANSI CL precision?
David LaFrance-Linden <········@hpc.pko.dec.com> writes:

> David LaFrance-Linden wrote:
> >
> > Raymond Toy wrote:
> > > Were doubles really catastrophically slower on Symbolics?  Or is it
> > > more an issue that the compiler was not smart enough to unbox it?  I
> > > might be way off base here because I know nothing about Symbolics
> > > architecture.
> >
> > Both.
> > [...]
>
> I wasn't being completely fair.  What do you mean by "catastrophically
> slower"?  Stock hardware, in the absense of declarations, for something

I don't know.  That's what someone said earlier.

> like (+ a b), has to do a two-way type dispatch, and for double
> arguments it would likely have to unbox, %double_internal, and box, just
> like LispMs.  Stock hardware would have to do this all the time in
> macrocode, whereas LispMs would do it in microcode with hardware assist.

Not quite true, if stock hardware means x86, sparcs, etc..  CMUCL has
a compiler that is smart enough not to box and unbox single and double
floats.

Ray

-----> Raymond Toy  ···@rtp.ericsson.se

"I have no problem with their success....  I have a problem with the
fact that they just make really third-rate products. "
		Steve Jobs
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··············@rtp.ericsson.se>,
Raymond Toy  <···@rtp.ericsson.se> wrote:
>Not quite true, if stock hardware means x86, sparcs, etc..  CMUCL has
>a compiler that is smart enough not to box and unbox single and double
>floats.

CMUCL has one of the better type-inference modules among CL compilers.  The
Symbolics compiler, on the other hand, does practically *no* type analysis,
relying heavily on the hardware to do fast type dispatching.

One thing, though: many of the built-in high-level math functions
(e.g. LOG, SQRT, etc.) were hand-coded to use unboxed double floats.
--
Barry Margolin
BBN Corporation, Cambridge, MA