From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: Scheme to Common Lisp translator
Hello everyone,

I want to translate Scheme files (r4rs compliant) to Common Lisp files
(ANSI compliant) preserving layout and comments of the original program.
Has anybody written a program that solves this problem, at least
partially?

Ciao,

Sven

P.S.
What is the status of r5rs?

* Sven Hartrumpf                   e-mail:
··············@fernuni-hagen.de *
* Computer Science VII (Artificial Intelligence)  phone: +49 2331 987
4553 *
* University of Hagen                             fax:   +49 2331 987
392  *
* 58084 Hagen  -
Germany                                                  *

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: Scheme to Common Lisp translator
Sven Hartrumpf <··············@fernuni-hagen.de> writes:

>I want to translate Scheme files (r4rs compliant) to Common Lisp files
>(ANSI compliant) preserving layout and comments of the original program.
>Has anybody written a program that solves this problem, at least
>partially?

If your intend is to run Scheme programs under Common Lisp, I think
the best way is to use one of the Scheme implementations for Common
Lisp. The FAQ lists some.

I don't know of any translation tool. Using one probably depends on
the Scheme code to translate. call/cc will give you a tough problem
unless you settle to a CL implementation with similar capabilities
(ECL, as far as I can judge).

Straight function-oriented code should be easy to automate as long as
you solve the multiple-namespace problem, that means you need to find
an automated way to determine when a #' is needed. You will probably
need to translate the whole Scheme program and all its libraries at
once to do so.

>P.S.
>What is the status of r5rs?

I saw no public state report lately.