From: Scott Sheffield
Subject: Byte offset
I have been tasked to write a program that takes an source document and
converts it to and ascii text file and writes it to a disk. I must build
a table that identifies the byte offset for parts of the ascii file as
well as a byte count for that part of the file. I am writing other
applications relating to this task in lisp and would like to write this
application in lisp also, but I unfamiliar with the functions i need to
accomplish this task. Any help in pointing me in the right direction (or
leading me by the nose) would be greatly appreciated.

Scott