From: Cedric Rossi
Subject: Allegro CL for Linux
we'll, it's only for non-commercial use, that's clear. But does a
program written under GPL is "commercial" or not??

--
Cedric Rossi                        ······@ens.fr
Ecole Normale Superieure \ Institut Blaise Pascal

From: Mike McDonald
Subject: Re: Allegro CL for Linux
  Has anyone received their ACL for Linux CD yet? I thought they were suppose to have
gone out in the middle of December. Here it is the end of the first week of January and I
haven't received mine yet.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@engr.sgi.com
From: kransom
From: Bill Schottstaedt
In article <············@franz.com> kransom <·······@franz.com> writes:
> The release of Allegro CL for Linux was scheduled for the end of
> December. It was indeed released at this time, and shipped soon
> thereafter. You should be receiving yours any day now.

I got my copy, and it's up and running.  Hooray!
From: Christopher Oliver
Mike McDonald (·······@engr.sgi.com) wrote:
:   Has anyone received their ACL for Linux CD yet? I thought they were
: suppose to have gone out in the middle of December. Here it is the end
: of the first week of January and I haven't received mine yet.

I'm still waiting too; I wonder what's up.  Fortunately, I'm hacking on
Squeak in the mean time.  Still...

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108
From: Will Hartung
·······@engr.sgi.com (Mike McDonald) writes:

>In article <··········@bert.traverse.com>,
>	······@co.traverse.com (Christopher Oliver) writes:
>> Mike McDonald (·······@engr.sgi.com) wrote:
>>:   Has anyone received their ACL for Linux CD yet? I thought they were
>>: suppose to have gone out in the middle of December. Here it is the end
>>: of the first week of January and I haven't received mine yet.
>>
>> I'm still waiting too; I wonder what's up.  Fortunately, I'm hacking on
>> Squeak in the mean time.  Still...
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications

>  I got mine a couple of days after posting to comp.lang.lisp. It then took a
>couple of more days to upgrade my linux box to a version of the kernel that
>would run it. I think it was well worth the wait. Hang in there!

Mine was mailed on the 6th, arrived on the 9th, at which time the
packaging was eagerly shredded revealing a nice, prefessional looking
CD. Rushing home, my previously upgraded Linux Box happily absorbed
the CD, software installed, and it all worked without a hitch --
though I haven't fired up emacs yet...

They recommend that you use the RedHat 4.0 release, and by total
coincedence I had just installed said installation a week or two ago
after I got the new Linux CD set for Christmas.

Now, if they'll just get back to me on the price of the hardcopy docs,
I'd just be all gigglely.

It's pretty nice.

--
Will Hartung - Rancho Santa Margarita. It's a dry heat. ······@netcom.com
1990 VFR750 - VFR=Very Red    "Ho, HaHa, Dodge, Parry, Spin, HA! THRUST!"
From: Norbert Reithinger
Hi,

faxed to NEXUS (German Franz distributor) on Friday, got my Allegro CL
Monday, and installed it.

Installation time approx 10 minutes (there's one "error" in
bin/setacldir.sh: my distribution -- SUSE 4.3, kernel 2.0.12 -- has
sed in /usr/bin instead of /bin: I pray that all software has this
type of errors).

Everything (Emacs interface, foreign functions etc) works like on the
big irons at work: fantastic! Just needed to adapt some paths in my
programs (directory structure at home is different from work),
recompile and that's it

Performance: I tested Allegro CL with a program we develop (natural
language processing with some math; code, data, and all is
approx. 8MB). Speed on an old AMD 486/100 with 16MB memory is
approx. 1/2-2/3 compared to the Sparc10 with 160 MB here at work (for
my application).

Congratulations to Franz!

Norbert

PS: don't use the above mail address. It won't work.

PHONE: 	+49-681-302-5346	FAX: +49-681-302-/5341
URL:	http://www.dfki.uni-sb.de/im/staff/reithinger.html
POST:	DFKI GmbH, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123 Saarbruecken, Germany