From: Chester Wong
Subject: Looking for a Text editor for LISP
Hi.  I'm coding in LISP on a Wintel platform.  My problem is that all the
text editors I've seen so far are poor in handling indentations let alone
parenthesis balancing.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a text editor to
be used on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation that will help balance those pesky
parens? ;)

Chester

From: Paul Meurer
Subject: Re: Looking for a Text editor for LISP
In article <················@news.cc.columbia.edu>, ·····@columbia.edu
(Chester Wong) wrote:

> Hi.  I'm coding in LISP on a Wintel platform.  My problem is that all the
> text editors I've seen so far are poor in handling indentations let alone
> parenthesis balancing.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a text editor to
> be used on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation that will help balance those pesky
> parens? ;)
>
> Chester

There is WinEmacs from Pearl Software, which comes with ACL for Windows
Pro. It's a commercial product, and seems quite useable, but in fact I
like MCL's pretty-printer better. (You could customize it.)
It's a full-fledged Emacs, by the way, based on Lucids Emacs port.

Paul
From: David B. Lamkins

>Hi.  I'm coding in LISP on a Wintel platform.  My problem is that all
the
>text editors I've seen so far are poor in handling indentations let
alone
>parenthesis balancing.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a text
editor to
>be used on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation that will help balance those
pesky
>parens? ;)

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

David B. Lamkins, http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/

--Cyberdog-AltBoundary-0002796F

--Cyberdog-MixedBoundary-00027970

<SMALLER><X-FONTSIZE><PARAM>10</PARAM><FIXED><FONTFAMILY><PARAM>Courier=
</PARAM>>Hi.  I'm coding in LISP on a Wintel platform.  My problem is
that all the

>text editors I've seen so far are poor in handling indentations let
alone

>parenthesis balancing.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a text
editor to

>be used on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation that will help balance those
pesky

</FONTFAMILY></FIXED></X-FONTSIZE></SMALLER><SMALLER><X-FONTSIZE><PARAM=
>10</PARAM><FONTFAMILY><PARAM>Geneva</PARAM>></FONTFAMILY></X-FONTSIZE>=
</SMALLER><SMALLER><X-FONTSIZE><PARAM>10</PARAM><FIXED><FONTFAMILY><PAR=
AM>Courier</PARAM>parens? ;)

</FONTFAMILY></FIXED></X-FONTSIZE></SMALLER><SMALLER><X-FONTSIZE><PARAM=
>10</PARAM><FONTFAMILY><PARAM>Geneva</PARAM>>

</FONTFAMILY></X-FONTSIZE></SMALLER><ITALIC><UNDERLINE><COLOR><PARAM>00=
00,0000,EEEE</PARAM><X-FONTSIZE><PARAM>12</PARAM><FONTFAMILY><PARAM>Pal=
atino</PARAM>http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html</F=
ONTFAMILY></X-FONTSIZE></COLOR></UNDERLINE></ITALIC><ITALIC><SMALLER><X=
-FONTSIZE><PARAM>10</PARAM><FONTFAMILY><PARAM>Palatino</PARAM>
</FONTFAMILY></X-FONTSIZE></SMALLER></ITALIC><SMALLER><X-FONTSIZE><PARA=

From: Bill Dubuque
:
: (Chester Wong) wrote:
:
: > Hi.  I'm coding in LISP on a Wintel platform.  My problem is that all the
: > text editors I've seen so far are poor in handling indentations let alone
: > parenthesis balancing.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a text editor to
: > be used on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation that will help balance those pesky
: > parens? ;)
:
: There is WinEmacs from Pearl Software, which comes with ACL for Windows
: Pro. It's a commercial product, and seems quite useable, but in fact I
: like MCL's pretty-printer better. (You could customize it.)
: It's a full-fledged Emacs, by the way, based on Lucids Emacs port.

Win-Emacs is available free in a nagware version (same as the commercial
version except a nag screen pops up every half-hour). You can download
it from  http://www.pearlsoft.com. It is very widely used, and integrated
well with Windows (DDE, long filenames, asynch. subprocesses, drag and
drop, etc).

Win-Emacs is a port of XEmacs 19.6 (nee Lucid Emacs), and runs most
popular GNU Emacs packages.

I assume by 'pretty-printing' you mean e-lisp software for indentation
of Lisp code, and there are many options available.

  [1] Use Richard Mlynarik's "cl-indent". To do such, simply add the
      following line of code to your Win-Emacs init file (emacs.ini):

      (setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function)

  [2] Use the module "fi-indent" from Franz's FI interface. This
      is available from

      ftp://ftp.franz.com/pub/emacs/eli-2.0.19.tar.gz

      This is better documented than the prior (probably because it was
      funded commercially, whereas I expect the prior was volunteer).

Both are quite powerful and very customizable. I can't imagine anyone
not being satisfied with either. Most likely you were not using either
of these packages, but instead were using only the built-in e-lisp stuff,
which is quite primitive in comparison.

IMHO, for editing Lisp code you are much better off interfacing
with GNU (X)Emacs than trying to reinvent the wheel in some resident
editor, which will surely pale in comparison, and miss out on the
huge library of GNU Emacs software.

For CL on NT, get Franz's free version of ACL, and get Pearl's free
version of Win-Emacs. You won't find a better combination for free.

-Bill Dubuque
From: Christopher Stacy
GNU Emacs is entirely free and runs under Windows 95 and Windows NT.
See "http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html" for
information and downloading.

This is what I use for everything; I'm even sending this post from it.