From: Richard Mann
Subject: Allegro Common Lisp for Linux, License expiry?
Did anyone else notice that the license for Allegro Common Lisp expires on Jan
1 1998?  (Item 9 "TERMINATION" in the file License.txt).

Does this mean we may have to pay to use it after this date?

	Richard.

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Allegro Common Lisp for Linux, License expiry?
In article <··················@orasis.vis.toronto.edu>, ····@CS.Toronto.EDU
wrote:

> Did anyone else notice that the license for Allegro Common Lisp expires on Jan
> 1 1998?  (Item 9 "TERMINATION" in the file License.txt).
>
> Does this mean we may have to pay to use it after this date?
>
>         Richard.

Maybe they have a new version at that time.

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Michel Schinz
····@orasis.vis.toronto.edu (Richard Mann) writes:

> Did anyone else notice that the license for Allegro Common Lisp
> expires on Jan 1 1998?  (Item 9 "TERMINATION" in the file
> License.txt).
> Does this mean we may have to pay to use it after this date?

I talked to the Franz people about the Linux version of ACL and they
told me that the reason why it was free is that they currently do not
want to invest too much time and money in it.  The reason is that they
still do not know what will happen to Linux.  But if one day they
decide to fully develop the Linux version of ACL (and port CLIM and
the other tools), then it will no longer be free, unfortunately.

Michel.
From: Simon Brooke
In article <···············@studi.epfl.ch>,
	Michel Schinz <······@studi.epfl.ch> writes:
> ····@orasis.vis.toronto.edu (Richard Mann) writes:
>
>> Did anyone else notice that the license for Allegro Common Lisp
>> expires on Jan 1 1998?  (Item 9 "TERMINATION" in the file
>> License.txt).
>> Does this mean we may have to pay to use it after this date?
>
> I talked to the Franz people about the Linux version of ACL and they
> told me that the reason why it was free is that they currently do not
> want to invest too much time and money in it.  The reason is that they
> still do not know what will happen to Linux.  But if one day they
> decide to fully develop the Linux version of ACL (and port CLIM and
> the other tools), then it will no longer be free, unfortunately.

I'm not sure about that 'unfortunately'. I'd like it to be *cheaper*,
of course... but it's a good product, and people who produce good
products have a right to earn a living, and I want to have the option
of using a good commercially supported Common LISP. So I have been
trying to persuade the people at Franz to offer a commercial licence
for the Linux version...

Simon, who now uses ACL4.3 on Linux and likes it.

--
·····@intelligent.co.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.intelligent.co.uk/~simon
	"The result is a language that... not even its mother could love.  Like
From: Jim Veitch
Richard Mann wrote:

> Did anyone else notice that the license for Allegro Common Lisp expires on Jan
> 1 1998?  (Item 9 "TERMINATION" in the file License.txt).
>
> Does this mean we may have to pay to use it after this date?
>
>         Richard.

This free release has several goals.

Options on the license include: extending the current license, or
releasing a newer version under a similar license, or making a
commercial release.

We believe that Linux is important for many people but is
non-commercial.  We believe that most people using Linux are doing it at
home, at school or don't have much money.  If you are in some
corporation and you spend money on hardware and software tools, then we
think that to spend money on Lisp is a reasonable request.  But if you
aren't, (and if you are using Linux, we guessing you aren't) rather than
even attempting to cover our costs on this platform by charging license
fees, we just decided to make Linux available at no charge for
non-commercial use.

Our goals:

1. We want to see Lisp used more generally in an academic setting.  We
hope this will encourage production of more trained Lisp programmers.

2. We want to see Lisp more available to private programmers.  We hope
that this will enable people to justify use of Lisp commercially.

3. We want to see increased sales of Allegro CL on other UNIX platforms
and perhaps even see some commercial use of Allegro CL on Linux.

We hope the Linux release will help achieve this at moderate cost to us.

To expand a little:

1. Academic usage:  we would like to see more people using and
developing apps for lisp as it becomes more available, and we would like
to see more educational institutions teaching lisp and CLOS as a
language in its own right, instead of squirrelled away inside of an AI
course.  Besides being more powerful and dynamic than the "mainstream"
languages, Lisp is also more general purpose than these languages, and
it is a shame to teach only the special-purpose aspects of the language,
leaving students with the feeling that lisp simply does not do the
things that other languages do.

2. Expansion of the lisp market:  Lisp is highly efficient, so that a
project tends to be completed in reasonable time, and then normal
maintenance is done by fewer developers than developed the product.
This is as opposed to large C++ projects, whose developer resource needs
tend to grow just to maintain the product.  This is a hard sell
(everybody claims to be "more efficient"), so by making Lisp more
readily available we think that it'll be easier for people to prove the
point.  Our aim is that it becomes the language of choice for
implementation on non-Linux platforms.  Then we can succeed commercially
as well.

Jim Veitch
Franz Inc.
http://www.franz.com/

P.S. I've been following
From: Nathan Sidwell
Jim Veitch wrote:

> Our goals:
>
> 3. We want to see increased sales of Allegro CL on other UNIX platforms
> and perhaps even see some commercial use of Allegro CL on Linux.
I'd just like to say that one of things which influenced my decision to
recommend perchasing Allegro CL for my work was the existance Allegro's
Linux release. I use linux at home, and I wished to support a company
which supported Linux.

nathan (A happy user of ACL for both Solaris and Linux)
--
Nathan Sidwell                    The windy road is more interesting
Chameleon Architecture Group at SGS-Thomson, formerly Inmos