From: Arun Welch
Subject: Re: Why lisp failed in the marketplace
Mike McDonald wrote:

>   In the Unix world, I can pretty much count on a Motif library being available
> for the machine, usually at a pretty "reasonable" cost. In the Lisp world under
> Unix, there is no standard GUI library. The two major vendors push CLIM for
> thousands of bucks. There is no cheap, compatible implementation for any of the
> public domain lisps. So, I'm back to the position, when I need to have a GUI
> for my code, I write the whole thing in C/C++.  It's a pretty sad state of
> affairs, from my point of view.

This actually points out one of the reasons for the demise of Lisp
in the marketplace, namely the infighting between the various commercial
vendors. Rather than working to increase the size of the pie the vendors
worked hard at making their piece larger at the expense of other
vendors.  CLIM itself is a good example of this.

...arun
Arun Welch                                      5000 Britton Rd
Lead Engineer, Internet R&D                     Hilliard, OH 43026
CompuServe Network Services                     ······@compuserve.net