From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: Why lisp failed in the marketplace
Sin-Yaw Wang (······@acm.org) wrote:
: Andreas Eder wrote:
: > But there is evidence; there have been studies! Look at
: >         Haskell vs. Ada vs. C++ vs. Awk vs. ...
: >         An Experiment in Software Prototyping Productivity
: >         {hudak-paul, ···········@cs.yale.edu
: >
: > and what was the result? You may have already guessed it, the Haskell and Lisp
: > teams won by a great margin. And their code was according to the reviewers much clearer.

: If Lisp is more productive, as the studies proved, why, then, did it
: fail in the marketplace?

If humans are superior to insects why are there more insects than
people?  Productivity and commercial success are two unrelated
things.

: Because (and this is my opinion, not a fact) it is NOT productive to the
: majority of the software engineers out there.  For the elite group of
: very bright, it is often the language of choice.  For the rest 90%, who
: managers need to hire, train, grow, and pamper, it is NOT more
: productive.

Still shooting off your mouth eh?  After you put yourself down by
admitting that you had no basis for your claims I would have imagined
that you'd be a little more cautious this time.  Oh well, time to
pick apart your latest... gem *ahem*.

: You can be one of those elite super software engineer.  You would love
: Lisp or Scheme.  Getting a large group of people (4 people or more) is a
: different story.

: Of course, if you have 4 bright engineers who all love Lisp, you are a
: lucky manager.  I envy you.

Lisp is at a higher level than most languages out there.  Things you'd
have to manually implement in say C (like lists) are provided to you
in Lisp.  Furthermore, this high level gives you a better boost for
building your own abstractions from there on.  With Lisp when you
code you are coding the problem, rather than in other languages
where you are coding in order to get things ready to start coding
the problem -- yet you claim that other languages are easier?

Now do you understand why you are the laughing stock of this
newsgroup?

: --
: Sin-Yaw Wang, ······@acm.org
: http://www.concentric.net/~sinyaw/

--
Cya,
Ahmed

Brains for dinner, brains for lunch
Brains for breakfast, brains for brunch
Brains at every single meal
Why can't we have some guts?
	"Brain Eaters" by the Misfits
From: Sin-Yaw Wang
········@bayou.uh.edu wrote:
> Now do you understand why you are the laughing stock of this
> newsgroup?

I don't know about you, but I read this newsgroup mostly for a diversion
from a day's work.  If some of you is having fun reading my postings, I
am so glad to have serve the purpose.

I do not mind being a laughing stock of this newsgroup, my favorite one.