From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: Which implementation is best for floating points?
········@indiana.edu writes:

>Hi, I'm looking for an environment to do lots of floating point
>computations.  I'm curious to hear about what sorts of experiences or
>oppinions people have.  For example, how does a Power Pc running MCL or
>a Pentium running Allegro compare with a Sun Ultra running, say, CMU
>LISP (BTW, is this still under development, files on the ftp site are
>all dated about '94). Are the comercial implementations for the Sun
>Ultra better than the free implementations?

No matter what environment you choose to run your application in, you
should have a CMUCL implementation around. CMUCL offers a wide range
of optimization hints and warnings. You'll definitivly want these to
optimize your code.

See http://www.cons.org/cmucl for up-to-date information on CMUCL. It
is under serious develoment.

If you get some real numbers to compare Lisp platforms, please post
these to this newsgroup. There is great demand for information of this
sort.

Martin
--
···············@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536