From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Newlisp: what kind of beast is it?
Is there anyone out ther with some "hand on" experience on Newlisp,
who can post some thoughts about it?

I must confess that I find the home page is quite puzzling.

Cheers
--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
International Computer Science Institute	| ·······@icsi.berkeley.edu
From: Cyber Surfer
Subject: Re: Newlisp: what kind of beast is it?
With a mighty <···············@crawdad.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>,
·······@crawdad.icsi.berkeley.edu wibbled into the void...

> Is there anyone out ther with some "hand on" experience on Newlisp,
> who can post some thoughts about it?
>
> I must confess that I find the home page is quite puzzling.

If it were compatible with either Scheme or a subset of CL, then I'd be
happy to use it. Alas, it follows nether dialect of Lisp, which leaves me
with a deeply uncomfortable feeling, when ever I try using it.

The result is that I've yet to do anything useful with it, however much I
like what it's _capable_ of. It has the kind of support for OS and
networking features that I've been looking for, making it perfect for
many "quick and dirty" jobs, and a fair number of day to day tasks.

What kind of beast is it? One that I'd love to put to work, if it weren't
for the dialect confusion that it causes. This is worse than learning
Scheme, after years of CL. I can now think in both dialects, and even
write code, without too much difficulty, but I'm not sure whether a third
dialect would be as easy. In fact, I fear it would be much worse.

Would it have been so hard to have used SCM, before adding all the neat
"real world" support? I don't know. I have to wonder which would be
easier, adding to SCM, or learning newLisp and then living with three
different Lisps in my head.

Answers on the back of a lambda, please...
--
<URL:http://www.wildcard.demon.co.uk/> You can never browse enough
  Martin Rodgers | Developer and Information Broker | London, UK