From: Roberto Gonzalez Sagredo
Subject: Java & Lisp
Hi all,

I would like to know if it�s possible to create a graphic user interface in
Java, and then access from Java to Lisp and from lisp to Java, and how can
I do It, using API�s, DLL�s, Clos, or another thing.

Please, if you know anything about this send me an e-mail.

Thanks,
Roberto.-

From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: Java & Lisp
"Roberto Gonzalez Sagredo" <········@lander.es> writes:

> I would like to know if it�s possible to create a graphic user interface in
> Java, and then access from Java to Lisp and from lisp to Java, and how can
> I do It, using API�s, DLL�s, Clos, or another thing.

I think you have two main options:
(A) Have the two systems comunicate via sockets using your Lisp
    vendor's extension for sockets.
(B) Link together via an intermediate C routine, using Java's FFI
    to C and your Lisp vendor's FFI to C.

Saludos-
					- Marty

Lisp Programming Resources: <http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html>
Java Programming Resources: <http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/>
From: Martin Cracauer
Marty Hall <····@apl.jhu.edu> writes:

>"Roberto Gonzalez Sagredo" <········@lander.es> writes:
>
>> I would like to know if it�s possible to create a graphic user interface in
>> Java, and then access from Java to Lisp and from lisp to Java, and how can
>> I do It, using API�s, DLL�s, Clos, or another thing.

>I think you have two main options:
>(A) Have the two systems comunicate via sockets using your Lisp
>    vendor's extension for sockets.
>(B) Link together via an intermediate C routine, using Java's FFI
>    to C and your Lisp vendor's FFI to C.

I think (B) is very difficult in practice. Usually, you can link C
into a langauge with a complex runtime easily, but mixing two
full-blown runtimes in the same program won't work in almost all cases
(i.e. for garbacg collection and Java has threads).

I'd like to add that effort are made to map CLIM directly to a Java
Front-End (i.e. some guys at SRI)

Then, there's Kawa, which is a Scheme compiler and runtime for the
Java virtual machine which is supposed to make it pretty
straightforward to use Java objects. At cygnus.com

ILU might be a higher-level way to use Network-connected
client/server. ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/ilu

If Javascript counts, too, have a look at cl-http, which has some
CLIM-like code to produce Javascript.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
···············@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536
From: Thomas Weis
In article <··························@none.cesatel.es> "Roberto Gonzalez
Sagredo" <········@lander.es> writes:

 > I would like to know if it�s possible to create a graphic user interface in
 > Java, and then access from Java to Lisp and from lisp to Java, and how can
 > I do It, using API�s, DLL�s, Clos, or another thing.

 > Please, if you know anything about this send me an e-mail.

... and please post to this newsgroup too!

Thanx,
Thomas.
--
Thomas Weis, Dipl.-Inform.
 SFB 378 am Lehrstuhl Prof. W. Wahlster, FB14 - Informatik
From: ····@ai.mit.edu
In article <··························@none.cesatel.es>,
  "Roberto Gonzalez Sagredo" <········@lander.es> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if it�s possible to create a graphic user interface in
> Java, and then access from Java to Lisp and from lisp to Java, and how can
> I do It, using API�s, DLL�s, Clos, or another thing.

See: http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html

This server includes a facility for emitting mobile code
to the client. It wraps JavaScript or Java inside a generic
function method.  The server is written entirely in lisp.

It also includes a presentation system, a basic client,
a web walker, and an html parser.

This is the best known environment for programming the web from
Common Lisp -- and it runs on all major platforms.

From: Marty Hall
········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:

> ILU might be a higher-level way to use Network-connected
> client/server. ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/ilu

At least one of the big Lisp vendors is working on CORBA support, so
full-blown CORBA would be an option once that is available.