From: Alan J. Robinson
Subject: Richard Gabriel's book "Patterns of Software"
I just read the book "Patterns of Software" by Richard Gabriel, a
former leading light of LISP, and now working on C++ for
ParcPlace-Digitalk.

The book is fascinating, and contains many interesting observations on
the computer business and academia, and in particular about LISP and
AI.  There are a number of statements which some might find
controversial.

I woudl have thought that the book might have precipitated an
extensive discussion on the Internet, but I've not been able to locate
anything at all, and Richard Gabriel seems to be lying low.  Richard
feels that he got a raw deal from quite a few people in the business
community.  Venture capital comes across in the book with overtones
of the mob - "you lose our money, we destroy your reputation".

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Richard Gabriel?

Alan J. Robinson
········@maroon.tc.umn.edu

From: kanderson
Subject: Re: Richard Gabriel's book "Patterns of Software"
In article <··············@maroon.tc.umn.edu>, "Alan J. Robinson"
<········@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> I just read the book "Patterns of Software" by Richard Gabriel, a
> former leading light of LISP, and now working on C++ for
> ParcPlace-Digitalk.
>
> The book is fascinating, and contains many interesting observations on
> the computer business and academia, and in particular about LISP and
> AI.  There are a number of statements which some might find
> controversial.

Yes, such as the failure of abstraction.

> I woudl have thought that the book might have precipitated an
> extensive discussion on the Internet, but I've not been able to locate
> anything at all, and Richard Gabriel seems to be lying low.  Richard
> feels that he got a raw deal from quite a few people in the business
> community.  Venture capital comes across in the book with overtones
> of the mob - "you lose our money, we destroy your reputation".

I too enjoyed this book, and even give it as gifts.  I suspect you have
 to be ready for it though.  Perhaps we revere success too much.
From: Kevin H. Sewell
On Mon, 3 Feb 97 08:40:22 CST, "Alan J. Robinson"
<········@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>I just read the book "Patterns of Software" by Richard Gabriel, a
>former leading light of LISP, and now working on C++ for
>ParcPlace-Digitalk.
>
>The book is fascinating, and contains many interesting observations on
>the computer business and academia, and in particular about LISP and
>AI.  There are a number of statements which some might find
>controversial.
>
>I woudl have thought that the book might have precipitated an
>extensive discussion on the Internet, but I've not been able to locate
>anything at all, and Richard Gabriel seems to be lying low.  Richard
>feels that he got a raw deal from quite a few people in the business
>community.  Venture capital comes across in the book with overtones
>of the mob - "you lose our money, we destroy your reputation".
>
>Does anyone have an e-mail address for Richard Gabriel?

What was so controversial?

This is Richard Gabrial:

···@parcplace.COM

Kevin
From: Cyber Surfer
In article <··············@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
           ········@maroon.tc.umn.edu "Alan J. Robinson" writes:

> I just read the book "Patterns of Software" by Richard Gabriel, a
> former leading light of LISP, and now working on C++ for
> ParcPlace-Digitalk.
>
> The book is fascinating, and contains many interesting observations on
> the computer business and academia, and in particular about LISP and
> AI.  There are a number of statements which some might find
> controversial.

It's on my list of books to read. I'll probably get around to
it after Brenda Laurel's Computers as Threatre.

> I woudl have thought that the book might have precipitated an
> extensive discussion on the Internet, but I've not been able to locate
> anything at all, and Richard Gabriel seems to be lying low.  Richard
> feels that he got a raw deal from quite a few people in the business
> community.  Venture capital comes across in the book with overtones
> of the mob - "you lose our money, we destroy your reputation".
>
> Does anyone have an e-mail address for Richard Gabriel?

Just do a search using Deja News or A-V. He's not been laying
_that_ low. ;)
--
<URL:http://www.wildcard.demon.co.uk/> You can never browse enough
  Martin Rodgers | Developer and Information Broker | London, UK
From: William Grosso
<········@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>I woudl have thought that the book might have precipitated an
>extensive discussion on the Internet, but I've not been able to locate
>anything at all, and Richard Gabriel seems to be lying low.

It has precipitated a few discussions, mostly on the patterns
mailing lists and on wiki.

Cheers,

Andy
"In the beginning, everything was even money"
       --Mike Caro
From: Rene Quiniou
Alan J. Robinson wrote:

> I just read the book "Patterns of Software" by Richard Gabriel, a
> former leading light of LISP, and now working on C++ for
> ParcPlace-Digitalk.
>
> The book is fascinating, and contains many interesting observations on
> the computer business and academia, and in particular about LISP and
> AI.  There are a number of statements which some might find
> controversial.

Could someone (re-)post the coordinates of Richard's book: publisher,
ISBN, price and so on...(may be the table of contents)

Thanks,

Rene
--
 QUINIOU Rene				··············@irisa.fr
 INRIA / IRISA				Phone : +33 2 99 84 73 19
From: Mike McDonald
In article <·············@irisa.fr>,
	Rene Quiniou <·······@irisa.fr> writes:

> Could someone (re-)post the coordinates of Richard's book: publisher,
> ISBN, price and so on...(may be the table of contents)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rene

  According to Computer Literacy Bookshops, it's:

TITLE  : PATTERNS OF SOFTWARE                     [  1.0 ed]
AUTHOR : GABRIEL
ISBN # : 019510269X
PUB BY : OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
YEAR   : 1996