From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: CMU CL's resource requirements
The CMU Common Lisp entry in this group's FAQ states that the system
requires 16 Mb of RAM and 25 Mb of disk space. I would like to use it on a
single user Linux box with 16 Mb of RAM + 32 Mb swap, and plenty of room on
disk. Are the figures mentioned in the FAQ minimum requirements? Are my
resources enough to comfortably use CMU CL for developing small
applications? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: CMU CL's resource requirements
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> The CMU Common Lisp entry in this group's FAQ states that the system
> requires 16 Mb of RAM and 25 Mb of disk space. I would like to use it on a
> single user Linux box with 16 Mb of RAM + 32 Mb swap, and plenty of room on
> disk. Are the figures mentioned in the FAQ minimum requirements? Are my
> resources enough to comfortably use CMU CL for developing small
> applications? Any feedback will be appreciated.

This is adequate, especially if you are not running X or any other large
program at the same time.  You may find it swaps a bit, though.  I have
run it with 24 MB without X and this was enough so that swapping was
relatively minor.  However, 32 MB or more will be much better.

Ray
From: Marco Antoniotti
Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> writes:

> Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> >
> > The CMU Common Lisp entry in this group's FAQ states that the system
> > requires 16 Mb of RAM and 25 Mb of disk space. I would like to use it on a
> > single user Linux box with 16 Mb of RAM + 32 Mb swap, and plenty of room on
> > disk. Are the figures mentioned in the FAQ minimum requirements? Are my
> > resources enough to comfortably use CMU CL for developing small
> > applications? Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> This is adequate, especially if you are not running X or any other large
> program at the same time.  You may find it swaps a bit, though.  I have
> run it with 24 MB without X and this was enough so that swapping was
> relatively minor.  However, 32 MB or more will be much better.
>
> Ray

I confirm Raymond's impressions.  I run CMUCL on a FREEBSD 486 laptop
with 16Mb *with* X.  The lisp system swaps quite a bit but I find it
very usable (also consider that I always run CMULISP with ILISP under
Emacs.)

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano