From: Telemakhos (Press charges for spam)
Subject: lisp for beginers?
Hey, I was looking for a good programing language for a beginer, i have
used tcl/tk (and, imho, am pretty good at it), but then i though, i need
a real programming language, so, is lisp a good languag for beginers?

From: John Arley Burns
Subject: Re: lisp for beginers?
From: Gareth McCaughan
"Telemakhos" wrote:

> Hey, I was looking for a good programing language for a beginer, i have
> used tcl/tk (and, imho, am pretty good at it), but then i though, i need
> a real programming language, so, is lisp a good languag for beginers?

Depends what you want to do. Scheme (a small dialect of Lisp) is a
really good language for learning the concepts of programming with,
and has the advantage of being the language used by what many
consider the best introductory computer science text in existence
("Structure and interpretation of computer programs", by Abelson
and Sussman). It's not necessarily a good language for writing
"real-world" applications in.

Common Lisp is a very big language and might be intimidating for
a beginner, but has a very full-featured library and is a very
practical language for solving (some) real problems with.

Everyone who wants to be a good programmer should (I think) learn
some dialect of Lisp, to broaden the mind. (And plenty of other
languages, too.)

--
Gareth McCaughan       Dept. of Pure Mathematics & Mathematical Statistics,
·····@dpmms.cam.ac.uk  Cambridge University, England.