From: Sergio Viegas
Subject: Games
Hi there!

I'm learning Lisp and i want to make a game using this language.
The name of the game is "4 in row". Does anyone knows if I can find
the source of this game in the Net?

Thanks in advance,
Sergio

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Games
Sergio Viegas <····@camoes.rnl.ist.utl.pt> writes:

> Hi there!

Ola'

> I'm learning Lisp and i want to make a game using this language.
> The name of the game is "4 in row". Does anyone knows if I can find
> the source of this game in the Net?

If you plan to write the program in Lisp, why do you need a source in
some other language?  Why not just start like any other program from a
sense of what you want to do and turn that into an implementation?
From: Sergio Viegas
Kent M Pitman wrote:
> Ola'

Ola' :)

> > I'm learning Lisp and i want to make a game using this language.
> > The name of the game is "4 in row". Does anyone knows if I can find
> > the source of this game in the Net?

> If you plan to write the program in Lisp, why do you need a source in
> some other language?  Why not just start like any other program from a
> sense of what you want to do and turn that into an implementation?

Actually, I was looking for the source in Lisp, not other language ;)
As I am new to Lisp, I will need some examples of implementations so I
can learn faster Lisp and how to make games in Lisp. The source of the
game in Lisp is just to compare with mine (when done)...

Thanks,
Sergio Viegas
From: Kent M Pitman
Sergio Viegas <·············@rnl.ist.utl.pt> writes:

> As I am new to Lisp, I will need some examples of implementations so I
> can learn faster Lisp and how to make games in Lisp. The source of the
> game in Lisp is just to compare with mine (when done)...

The Association of Lisp Users (ALU) maintains
a list of public code repositories as well as a lot of general
information about Lisp.  I definitely recommend starting there.
The ALU's home page is    http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/

To get to some collections of code from the ALU page, select
"Contents (using tables)" and then "Collections, Repositories, and Archives".
There's a lot of very interesting and useful stuff there that I'm sure
will be of help.

The ALU page will also lead you to some good books on Lisp.

And the full Common Lisp specification is on the web for both
perusal and downloading at
 http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/
The specification is not a tutorial, but may be a very useful as a
reference because it contains many small examples of a lot of the
functionality of Lisp.

Se precisa soluc,o~es comerciais, pode ser que a minha companhia
Harlequin pode ajudar-lhe.  Mas, tambem, temos Lisp um "de grac,a"
para uso acade^mico que lhe pode interesar.  Para informac,a~o,
ve^ a` nossa pa'gina   http://www.harlequin.com/
E me pode mandar e-mail se tem perguntas.
 --Kent Pitman
   ······@world.std.com
   ···@harlequin.com
From: Sergio Viegas
Kent M Pitman wrote:

> > As I am new to Lisp, I will need some examples of implementations so I
> > can learn faster Lisp and how to make games in Lisp. The source of the
> > game in Lisp is just to compare with mine (when done)...
>
> The Association of Lisp Users (ALU) maintains
> a list of public code repositories as well as a lot of general
> information about Lisp.  I definitely recommend starting there.
> The ALU's home page is    http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/
(...)

Thanks Kent!
Your links will help me a lot :))

(and your portuguese is very good)
Obrigado :)
Sergio Viegas
From: Sam Inala
Sergio Viegas <····@camoes.rnl.ist.utl.pt> wrote in article
> The name of the game is "4 in row". Does anyone knows if I can find
> the source of this game in the Net?

If this is the game "Connect 4", then this game has been solved.
It is a win for white. You might find a paper on it at ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi.
Also, the newsgroup comp.ai.games might be useful.

--
Sam Inala
MS NetShow