From: Tiko
Subject: Help me with WITH-OPEN-FILE Macro
Hi!

Can anybody help me to understand what does it mean?

I'am  trying to write a function for open a file using macro with-open-file

(defun *** (fname &aux ifile)
  (with-open-file (ifile fname)
                    :direction :input

But I get a message " 'fname must be a lambda expression"

My adress ····@aip.mk.ua

Beforehand grateful!
From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Help me with WITH-OPEN-FILE Macro
"Tiko" <····@aip.mk.ua> writes:

> I'am  trying to write a function for open a file using macro with-open-file
>
> (defun *** (fname &aux ifile)
         ^^^
This is an odd name for a function. *** is a symbol in the Common Lisp package
so you should not give it a definition but probably you aren't hurting anything.
It is not the cause of your problem.

>   (with-open-file (ifile fname)
                                ^
                         This parenthesis

>                     :direction :input
                                       ^
                                belongs here

but that isn't the cause of your problem either.

> But I get a message " 'fname must be a lambda expression"

This message makes no sense for anything you've shown.

I suspect this message comes from the rest of the body of your code which you
have presumably elided here with the "...".

Maybe show us the full function definition and full error message text?