From: Brian Rogoff
Subject: Re: Q: text manipulation languages?
On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Xah wrote:
> After getting to know Perl, I think Perl puts computer science in shame. My
> question is: What are the alternative languages for text manipulation?

SNOBOL4 and cousins, like SPITBOL, precede Perl by over a decade and have
far more powerful pattern matching. The free Ada compiler GNAT now comes
with a SPITBOL library. I imagine someone must have written a SNOBOL like
pattern matching library in Lisp, but I haven't seen it. BTW, you can
easily handle Lisp syntax with SNOBOL patterns

Icon is a recent string processing language from that lineage,
unfortunately the designers went with a C like language syntax and no
block structure. I like it better than Perl, but would have preferred
Lispier syntax.

-- Brian