From: Howard R. Stearns
Subject: New Common Lisp and Lisp-to-C translator ANNOUNCEMENT

--------------ABD322C31DFF4F5237C228A

(Please don't "Reply-All" unless you mean it.)

--------------ABD322C31DFF4F5237C228A

We are pleased to announce the Elwood Eclipse Common Lisp system at an
introductory price of $300.

Eclipse is a complete ANSI Common Lisp, made available to programmers
in two ways:

 1. A traditional top-level Lisp listener.
 2. A C library containing all ANSI functions and data types. The
    functions use normal C naming and argument passing conventions.

In addition, the Eclipse compiler can be used to generate
human-readable C code which uses the library. The generated functions
and variables use normal C naming and argument passing conventions.

Complete applications can be written in C or translated from Lisp to C
using the Eclipse compiler. Object files are then produced using any C
compiler and linked to the Eclipse library to produce stand-alone
executables which can be run without the top-level Lisp listener.

Additional information, including product documentation, is available
from our web-site at:

  http://www.elwood.com/eclipse-info/index.htm

The entire Lisp community is encouraged, whether purchasing Eclipse or
not, to tell us what Lisp products they would like to see.  Please
fill out our feedback form at:

  http://www.elwood.com/eclipse-info/feedback.htm

You can also contact us directly:

  Howard R. Stearns, Director, Technology Division
  Elwood Corporation
  195 W. Ryan Road
  Oak Creek, WI 53154   USA
  US Telephone Number: 414-764-7500

--------------ABD322C31DFF4F5237C228A--

From: Martin Rodgers
Howard R. Stearns wheezed these wise words:

But only for Unix? Too bad. I'd have certainly bought this, if it were
available for Win32. Do you intent to support this platform?

Thanks.
--
<URL:http://www.wildcard.demon.co.uk/> You can never browse enough
              Please note: my email address is gubbish
From: Howard R. Stearns
Martin Rodgers wrote:

> But only for Unix? Too bad. I'd have certainly bought this, if it were
> available for Win32. Do you intent to support this platform?
>
> Thanks.

We do intend to support Win32, though no timetable has been set.  Our
current intention is to make certain we meet expectations on Unix
platforms first, only because we believe that we can respond better (and
more in a more timely way) to customer issues on Unix platforms than on
Microsoft products.

We welcome all criticisms and suggestions, including platform requests.
Lisp users are encouraged to tell us what they would like to see either
directly or by filling out our feedback form at:
  http://www.elwood.com/eclipse-info/feedback.htm

We expect that people actually using the product will have more specific
suggestions than others, but of course, we want to hear from prospective
customers as well.
From: Karl M. Hegbloom

    Howard> We welcome all criticisms and suggestions, including
    Howard> platform requests.  Lisp users are encouraged to tell us
    Howard> what they would like to see either directly or by filling
    Howard> out our feedback form at:
    Howard> http://www.elwood.com/eclipse-info/feedback.htm

 Gee, it looks just like ECoLisp, to me.  Maybe I'm just naive... the
name sure is similar, huh.

 From: http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/lisp-faq/part4.html

  ECoLisp is a Common Lisp implementation which compiles Lisp functions
   into C functions that use the C stack and standard procedure call
   conventions. This lets Lisp and C code be easily mixed. It can be used
   as a C library from any C application.  It is available by anonymous
   ftp from
      ftp.di.unipi.it:/pub/lang/lisp/     [131.114.4.36]
      ftp.icsi.berkeley.edu:/pub/ai/ecl/  [128.32.201.7]
   as the file ecl-??.tar.gz where ?? is the version number. This is an alpha
   release. So far it has been tested on Sun workstations (SunOS 4.x),
   SGI (IRIX 4.x), and IBM PC (DOS/go32). For more information, please contact
   Giuseppe Attardi <·······@di.unipi.it> or <·······@icsi.berkeley.edu>.
From: Howard R. Stearns
Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Howard> We welcome all criticisms and suggestions, including
>     Howard> platform requests.  Lisp users are encouraged to tell us
>     Howard> what they would like to see either directly or by filling
>     Howard> out our feedback form at:
>     Howard> http://www.elwood.com/eclipse-info/feedback.htm
>
>  Gee, it looks just like ECoLisp, to me.  Maybe I'm just naive... the
> name sure is similar, huh.

ECoLisp, also known as ECL is a very good Lisp system.

I hope Giuseppe will correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it,
some major differences between ECL and Eclipse are:

 1. ECL uses C code internally, whereas Eclipse is designed to produce C
code that is directly usable and maintainable by C programers.  As a
consequence, ECL essentially gensyms the C function and variable names,
while Eclipse has a naming convention that allows C functions and
variables to have names based on their Lisp names while simultaneously
following standard C naming conventions.  The generated ECL functions
are static, and the caller must pass the number of arguments, any
enclosed environment, etc., while all user Lisp functions in Eclipse are
callable from anywhere, and the caller does not need to pass "hidden"
arguments such as enclosed environments, etc.

 2. Eclipse is ANSI compliant while ECL is basically CLtL-1, missing the
condition system, pretty printing, loop, etc.  I believe that a (PCL
based?) object system is available for ECL, but it does not appear to be
the default configuration.  By contrast, Eclipse supports CLOS and the
full MetaObject Protocol (MOP), and uses it internally.  Eclipse also
supports some optional ANSI features such as the extended-char data
type, versioned pathnames, etc.

 3. Eclipse is a supported commercial product while ECL is gnu-ware.  On
the other hand, Eclipse is quite new while ECL has gone through several
versions, begining with the original KCL/AKCL work in the early 80's.