From: Bradley Yearwood
Subject: Neophyte with Symbolics XL1201: how to get started?
I just received one of the machines from the recent off-lease offer
by Symbolics Technologies.  Everything is hooked up and booted, but
I am substantially lost as regards the rudiments, the most urgent of
which is to be able to use the Document Examiner.

I do have the 2nd edition of Bromley and Lamson's book, and I have
Symbolics' hardcopy documentation for Release 5 (circa 1984).  Much of
what is on the machine seems to align reasonably well with these documents,
but both seem to assume that the machine has already been configured by
someone with in-depth knowledge.

If I use Select-D to bring up Document Examiner, then click on one of
the section names, I get a file error panel, which complains:

  The directory >rel-8-3 does not exist.
  For XL1200:>rel-8-3>sys>doc>installed-437>user>approach1.sab.47

If I do a Show Directory on FEP0:>**>*.*.* , I get a list of FEP files,
presumably from the internal ESDI disk.  If I do this on FEP10:, I get
another list, presumably from the external SCSI disk.  This shows a
temptingly large file lmfs.file.1, identified as [Namespace file partition].

I assume this (and/or the similar file on FEP0:) is where the goodies are.

Question is, how do I get things referred to, mapped, connected, translated,
mounted, or whatever, so that I can see inside this as a filesystem?

Oh voices of experience, please speak to me, that this episode might yield
more than warm and slightly noisy keel ballast with a great keyboard.

Brad Yearwood   ยทยทยท@crl.com
Cotati, CA