From: Gal Kaminka
Subject: Any Scheme implementations that support threads?
Hi!

I'd like to get more serious with scheme/lisp application development.
Does anyone know about scheme/lisp support for threads, or any other
way of doing multi-tasking inside a program?  Are there any
scheme/lisp packages that can be used?  Any lisp/scheme->C compilers that
support this?

I'm not looking for commercial products.  The work will be on
linux (preferred) or windows (if necessary), and will be for research
purposes.

Thanks,

Gal
Gal A. Kaminka    ····@············@usc.edu    http://www.isi.edu/soar/galk/
Research Assistant, Applied Philosopher   USC Information Sciences Institute
     "Death is an engineering problem." -- Bart Kosko, "Fuzzy Thinking"
     "But life is not an engineering task." -- Gal A. Kaminka

From: Aleksandar Bakic
Gal Kaminka wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to get more serious with scheme/lisp application development.
> Does anyone know about scheme/lisp support for threads, or any other
> way of doing multi-tasking inside a program?  Are there any
> scheme/lisp packages that can be used?  Any lisp/scheme->C compilers that
> support this?
>
> I'm not looking for commercial products.  The work will be on
> linux (preferred) or windows (if necessary), and will be for research
> purposes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gal

Guile has threads. Take a look at: http://www.red-bean.com/guile/

Aleksandar
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··········@venera.isi.edu>, ····@isi.edu (Gal Kaminka) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to get more serious with scheme/lisp application development.
> Does anyone know about scheme/lisp support for threads, or any other
> way of doing multi-tasking inside a program?  Are there any
> scheme/lisp packages that can be used?  Any lisp/scheme->C compilers that
> support this?
>
> I'm not looking for commercial products.

To bad. Commercial Lisp systems are not that bad.

> The work will be on
> linux (preferred) or windows (if necessary), and will be for research
> purposes.

Common Lisp implementations on PCs with threads:
Allegro Common Lisp for Linux, free for noncommercial use, see
(http://www.franz.com/ for infos)
LispWorks for Windows

On Unix:
Allegro Common Lisp
Liquid Common Lisp
LispWorks

On Mac:
Macintosh Common Lisp

Symbolics:
Genera / Open Genera

Some more? Maybe.

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Rob Warnock
Gal Kaminka <····@isi.edu> wrote:
+---------------
| Does anyone know about scheme/lisp support for threads, or any other
| way of doing multi-tasking inside a program?  ...  The work will be on
| linux (preferred) or windows (if necessary)...
+---------------

MzScheme (and things that run on it, e.g., DrScheme & MrEd) has threads. See:
http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/doc/mzscheme/node86.htm
for information about its threads, semaphores, and namespaces, etc.

ftp://ftp.cs.rice.edu/public/languages/plt/mzscheme/mzscheme.src.tar.gz
for the source

http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/mzscheme/compiled.html
for pre-compiled binaries for various systems (SGI, DEC, Sun,
HP, Linux, FreeBSD, Windows 95 & NT, Macintosh).

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, 7L-551		····@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		http://reality.sgi.com/rpw3/
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.		Phone: 650-933-1673  FAX: 650-933-4392
Mountain View, CA  94043	PP-ASEL-IA
From: Bryan O'Sullivan
g> I'm not looking for commercial products.  The work will be on linux
g> (preferred) or windows (if necessary), and will be for research
g> purposes.

Bummer.  Last time I talked to Kent Dybvig, Chez Scheme had
(admittedly flaky) threads support under Irix.  All of the
non-commercial Scheme implementations I am aware of make use of
user-level threads, which is useless for parallel programming.

	<b

--
Let us pray:
What a Great System.                   ···@eng.sun.com
From: Matthew Flatt
Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Bummer.  Last time I talked to Kent Dybvig, Chez Scheme had
> (admittedly flaky) threads support under Irix.  All of the
> non-commercial Scheme implementations I am aware of make use of
> user-level threads, which is useless for parallel programming.

MzScheme's threads can run as real OS threads under Solaris and
Win32. Irix sproc-based threads work, but not using the current
source distribution (send mail to me for more info). In all cases,
you have to re-compile MzScheme from the source, since the
distributed versions do not use OS threads.

Matthew