From: Dan J Schrimpsher
Subject: Lisp Reference books
I am a graduate student in Computer Science.  I am working on a computer
vision project for our Visual Research Group.  I am not sure if this is
the right group to post this to, as it seems mostly arguing about C and
Lisp, but I shall try non the less.

Are the any books about Lisp that are considered to be standard or good in
the Lisp community?  I learned C-Lisp in my undergrad. AI class, but it
was only a very limited knowledge (as we are on quarters :-).  Thank you
in advance.

--
A computer will do what you tell it to do,
but that may be much different from what you had in mind...

Daniel Schrimpsher
http://www.auburn.edu/~schridj/index.html
··············@eng.auburn.edu
From: David Thornley
Subject: Re: Lisp Reference books
In article <··········@ultranews.duc.auburn.edu>,
Dan J Schrimpsher <·······@maple.eng.auburn.edu> wrote:

>I am a graduate student in Computer Science.  I am working on a computer
>vision project for our Visual Research Group.  I am not sure if this is
>the right group to post this to, as it seems mostly arguing about C and
>Lisp, but I shall try non the less.

Hmmmm, you noticed.  How about this:  all computer languages are
good in some fashion, and there are circumstances in which any
computer language, with the possible exception of Intercal, is the
right choice.  However, never write anything in COBOL unless you're
paid well.

>Are the any books about Lisp that are considered to be standard or good in
>the Lisp community?  I learned C-Lisp in my undergrad. AI class, but it
>was only a very limited knowledge (as we are on quarters :-).  Thank you
>in advance.

The standard ones would presumably be
_Paradigms_of_Artificial_Intelligence_ by Peter Norvig (lots of
medium-sized programs, following development from idea to solid
and efficient code)
_On_Lisp_ by Paul Graham (smaller examples, superb coverage of
macros, excellent at showing what Lisp is all about)

These may be too advanced to be comfortable for you.  I'm not sure
that there's a "standard" more introductory book.  Graham wrote
another, more introductory book, that I've heard good things about.

David Thornley