From: Peter Shell
Subject: Multi-platform Commonlisp tools?
  We (Wisdom Technologies, a spin-off of CMU) have a financial expert system
written in CommonLisp and whose UI was originally based on X-11/CLX.
However, now that we are "going commercial" we need to find a good UI tool
which will allow it to be multi-platform, i.e. work well on at least
Windows and Unix.  It needs to be efficient, reliable, supported and
modern.  I would prefer if we could keep it in Lisp which is why I'm
posting to this group. Does anybody have any recommendations?  We already
tried porting it to CLIM (by Franz) but it's basically unusable on Windows
-- too slow and buggy and not enough support.

  We're also thinking of porting the UI to Java/HTML but that would entail
a lot of other problems.

I appreciate any help,

--Pete Shell	 ······@cmu.edu

--
---------------------------
Web: www.cs.cmu.edu/~pshell

From: Lawrence G. Mayka
Subject: Re: Multi-platform Commonlisp tools?
·······@NL.CS.CMU.EDU (Peter Shell) wrote:

>  We (Wisdom Technologies, a spin-off of CMU) have a financial expert system
>written in CommonLisp and whose UI was originally based on X-11/CLX.
>However, now that we are "going commercial" we need to find a good UI tool
>which will allow it to be multi-platform, i.e. work well on at least
>Windows and Unix.  It needs to be efficient, reliable, supported and
>modern.  I would prefer if we could keep it in Lisp which is why I'm
>posting to this group. Does anybody have any recommendations?  We already
>tried porting it to CLIM (by Franz) but it's basically unusable on Windows
>-- too slow and buggy and not enough support.

You might consider CAPI, a lighter-weight UI framework from Harlequin
Inc.  <http://www.harlequin.com>.  CAPI is supported on all their
LispWorks products, for both Unix and Win 95/NT.

Lawrence G. Mayka
·······@sprynet.com
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ·······@sprynet.com (Lawrence G. Mayka)
   Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 02:08:59 GMT

   ·······@NL.CS.CMU.EDU (Peter Shell) wrote:

   >  We (Wisdom Technologies, a spin-off of CMU) have a financial expert system
   >written in CommonLisp and whose UI was originally based on X-11/CLX.
   >However, now that we are "going commercial" we need to find a good UI tool
   >which will allow it to be multi-platform, i.e. work well on at least
   >Windows and Unix.  It needs to be efficient, reliable, supported and
   >modern.  I would prefer if we could keep it in Lisp which is why I'm
   >posting to this group. Does anybody have any recommendations?  We already
   >tried porting it to CLIM (by Franz) but it's basically unusable on Windows
   >-- too slow and buggy and not enough support.

   You might consider CAPI, a lighter-weight UI framework from Harlequin
   Inc.  <http://www.harlequin.com>.  CAPI is supported on all their
   LispWorks products, for both Unix and Win 95/NT.

Both, of course not on Allegro CL or on CMUCL.  Suggestion. Stick to
the CLX based toolkit, unless you want to tie yourself to Harlequin.

Cheers
--
Marco Antoniotti
California Path Program - UCB