From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: Free ?
Date: 16 Apr 1997 02:56:20 +0200
Sender: ·······@jagor.srce.hr

Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:
[... explanation ...]

Thanks for the answer.  Almost anyone can contribute to a Unix
utility, whereas one needs years of study to begin to understand what
useful contributions and ehnancements are applicable for Common Lisp.

> look how Emacs grows as an example: rarely are new language features or
> fundamental functions contributed, but often packages, small incremental
> improvements, etc.  (e.g., a few people ask why I don't write new packages
> for Emacs.  however, they wouldn't notice that I implemented `encode-time',
> `decode-time', and `format-time-string' to get rid of the annoying hacking
> of `current-time-string'.  nor would they see the enhancement to the Lisp
> reader and printer that allows Emacs Lisp macros to use `make-symbol' or
> `gensym' correctly.

Here it's useful to differentiate Emacs users and Emacs contributors.
"Normal" Emacs users generally know about `setq' and such; they aren't
interested in long-term additions to the language, as they don't see
the utility of it.  They can be understood, on their own terms.
People like Jari are the "users" for me.

Another sort are Elisp programmers, who do appreciate the changes in
Elisp.  Implementation of `format-time-string', etc. was definitely
noted by the Emacs programmers' community, as will be any further Lisp
enhancements.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <·······@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··········@pwyz.rhein.de>, Hrvoje Niksic <·······@srce.hr> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer.  Almost anyone can contribute to a Unix
> utility, whereas one needs years of study to begin to understand what
> useful contributions and ehnancements are applicable for Common Lisp.

Just ask.

Common Lisp may need:

- a portable and extensible CLOS-based DEFSYSTEM which supports
  logical pathnames
- a portable PROCESS substrate based on the available implementations
- a free portable low-level graphics substrate
- a free version of CLIM 2
- a secure remote evaluation facility
- a Java (or better "Universal") Virtual Machine in Lisp
- more online presence
- a global project description and source code server
- chat system for Lisp developers running on a CL-HTTP server
- Introductory material for CL, MCL, LWW, ACL/PC
  using the cool "Interbook" adaptive hypertext system running
  in CL-HTTP
- an extension for using logical pathnames over the web

For other cool projects (mainly CL-HTTP-related, but
this is where the action is) see:

http://wilson.ai.mit.edu/cl-http/projects.html

Olin Shivers has the quote of the month: "Less posting; more hacking."

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Georg Bauer
Hi!

RJ> - a portable and extensible CLOS-based DEFSYSTEM which supports
RJ>   logical pathnames

Ich mag yads.lisp auf www.igortech.com/lisp. CLOS-basiert, klein und
schlank, kommt mit logischen Filenamen klar und ist recht brauchbar
erweiterbar. Vor allem funktioniert es sehr gut. Keine Ahnung, ob es
portabel ist, ich benutze es nur unter MCL.

bye, Georg
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ···········@ms3.maus.westfalen.de (Georg Bauer)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Sun, 20 Apr 97 14:27:00 +0200

   Hi!

   RJ> - a portable and extensible CLOS-based DEFSYSTEM which supports
   RJ>   logical pathnames

   Ich mag yads.lisp auf www.igortech.com/lisp. CLOS-basiert, klein und
   schlank, kommt mit logischen Filenamen klar und ist recht brauchbar
   erweiterbar. Vor allem funktioniert es sehr gut. Keine Ahnung, ob es
   portabel ist, ich benutze es nur unter MCL.

   bye, Georg

A parte il Tedesco, che c'e` di male con MK:DEFSYSTEM
(nell'AI.Repository di CMU) che gira sotto tutti i CL a me conosciuti
- compreso MCL?!? :)

Translation:

German apart, what's wrong with MK:DEFSYSTEM (in the AI.Repository of
CMU) which runs under all the CL implementations I know of - including
MCL?!? :)

Cheers
--
Marco Antoniotti
California Path Program - UCB
From: Georg Bauer
Hi!

MA> German apart, what's wrong with MK:DEFSYSTEM (in the AI.Repository of
MA> CMU) which runs under all the CL implementations I know of - including
MA> MCL?!? :)

Yuck. My news-frontend sometimes fools me into thinking I do a
reply-by-mail but post instead. Seems to be one of those "programmers are
the most stupid users available" cases. And I was wondering why Rainer
didn't ask me the same question as you did ...

And there is nothing wrong with MK:DEFSYSTEM. Really. I like it. But since
I have yads.lisp around because of the Quickdraw GX library, I thought I
just try yads for my own projects. It's small and simple. Easily
extensible. And it's there, as I said. Maybe the last one is the most
important reason ;-)

bye, Georg (back to english again)
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ···········@ms3.maus.westfalen.de (Georg Bauer)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Wed, 23 Apr 97 18:49:00 +0200

   Hi!

   MA> German apart, what's wrong with MK:DEFSYSTEM (in the AI.Repository of
   MA> CMU) which runs under all the CL implementations I know of - including
   MA> MCL?!? :)

   Yuck. My news-frontend sometimes fools me into thinking I do a
   reply-by-mail but post instead. Seems to be one of those "programmers are
   the most stupid users available" cases. And I was wondering why Rainer
   didn't ask me the same question as you did ...

   And there is nothing wrong with MK:DEFSYSTEM. Really. I like it. But since
   I have yads.lisp around because of the Quickdraw GX library, I thought I
   just try yads for my own projects. It's small and simple. Easily
   extensible. And it's there, as I said. Maybe the last one is the most
   important reason ;-)

From what you say it runs only on MCL. Does it run on CMUCL? On Lucid?
On Harlequin?

Cheers
From: Georg Bauer
Hi!

MA> From what you say it runs only on MCL. Does it run on CMUCL? On Lucid?
MA> On Harlequin?

Don't know, don't care.

bye, Georg
From: Pierpaolo Bernardi
Georg Bauer (···········@ms3.maus.westfalen.de) wrote:
: Hi!

: MA> From what you say it runs only on MCL. Does it run on CMUCL? On Lucid?
: MA> On Harlequin?

: Don't know, don't care.

: bye, Georg

Yads is MCL only.

Pierpaolo.
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ········@cli.di.unipi.it (Pierpaolo Bernardi)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: 28 Apr 1997 10:01:47 GMT

   Georg Bauer (···········@ms3.maus.westfalen.de) wrote:
   : Hi!

   : MA> From what you say it runs only on MCL. Does it run on CMUCL? On Lucid?
   : MA> On Harlequin?

   : Don't know, don't care.

   : bye, Georg

   Yads is MCL only.

As I suspected.  Hence it is inferior to MK:DEFSYSTEM.

Cheers