From: Russ McManus
Subject: Re: Reply to Ousterhout's reply (was Re: Ousterhout and Tcl ...)
·······@cas.org writes:

> I've been keeping my eye on guile.  It looks quite intriguing.  I hope
> soon to learn enough about it to see how appropriate it would be to
> use in either a research or 'production' (ie stable, non-crashing,
> long running) environment.  What are the appropriate resources to monitor
> the future progress of guile?
> --

a good place to keep up on guile developments is the
volume (a few messages a day).

the interesting thing about guile is that it's intended
target is the same as tcl's.

if you decide to try out guile, you can get source at:
ftp://ftp.cyclic.com/pub/guile

keep in mind that guile's tk interface is still
somewhat primitive.  soon it will be gaining an
interface to tk similar to the one in erik gallesio's
STk, (http://kaolin.unice.fr/STk.html), which is
a powerful and polished scheme implementation in
it's own right.

STk has the most elegant integration of tk i have
seen.  making composite widgets is a snap; and it
fits into a real object model.  interfaces are
specified as simply as in tcl.

-russ

--
Russell D. McManus             phone: 212-357-4901
Goldman, Sachs & Co.            beep: 917-556-0708