From: George J. Carrette
Subject: Win SIOD doc updated with EXE creation technique
Quite a few email messages came in asking about how to convert SIOD
or other scripting language files into "operating system native EXE" files.
Mainly this seems of interest to people shipping Windows or DOS programs.
The trick itself is used by the INFO-ZIP people to create self-extracting
ZIP archives
and works because most operating systems simply ignore any data that you
happen to append to the end of an executable image.

I've update http://people.delphi.com/gjc/winsiod.html with some of my own
experiences and suggestions and provided a sample main program.

Obviously a cleaner way of doing this is:

main(){init_siod();repl_c_string("(begin (load 'myprog.bin) (main))");}

Which you would think would suffice. Many programs load some kind of data
file
first (e.g. virus checking programs load pattern files).

But sometimes you need the ultimate packaging idiot-proofing, such as
when a single exe file is download from the net and executed.
From: Alaric B. Williams
On 16 Apr 1997 11:22:56 GMT, "George J. Carrette" <···@delphi.com>
wrote:

>Obviously a cleaner way of doing this is:
>
>main(){init_siod();repl_c_string("(begin (load 'myprog.bin) (main))");}

I don't know SIOD, but wouldn't it be possible to link myprog.bin with
a copy of SIOD and a main C file like:

#include "siod.h"

extern some_byte_code_type[] Image;

main() {
	init_siod();
   	run(Image);
}

Then, to "compile", we run:

gcc siod-main.o my-image.o -lsiod -o my-app

ABW
--
"Plug and Play support: WfEWAD will autodetect any installed
Nuclear Arsenals, Laser Satellites, Battlefield Control Networks,

(Windows for Early Warning and Defence User's manual P26)

Alaric B. Williams Internet : ······@abwillms.demon.co.uk
<A HREF="http://www.abwillms.demon.co.uk/">Hello :-)</A>