From: George J. Carrette
Subject: Will Java kill Java? More FUD with respect to JVM
Already it seems there is talk of punting JVM in search
of the holy grail of Universal Virtual Machines.

Vendors move past Java to look for UVMs.

InfoWorld April 7, 1997 v19 n14 p1(1)

Summary

IBM, Microsoft, Sun Microsystems and others are working on
new universal virtual machine (UVM) technology designed to take
platform independence beyond Java by letting the same client run
applications written in Java, Smalltalk or C++.

From: Kelly Murray
Subject: Re: Will Java kill Java? More FUD with respect to JVM
In article <··························@gjchome.nis.newscorp.com>, "George J. Carrette" <···@delphi.com> writes:
>> Already it seems there is talk of punting JVM in search
>> of the holy grail of Universal Virtual Machines.
>>
>> Vendors move past Java to look for UVMs.
>>
>> InfoWorld April 7, 1997 v19 n14 p1(1)

It appears to me that a 80386 machine code subset is a good enough VM !

But no way in hell the non-wintel camp would let that happen.

-kelly murray  ···@franz.com  http://www.franz.com
From: Bryant Brandon
In article <············@sparky.franz.com>, ···@franz.com wrote:

>In article <··························@gjchome.nis.newscorp.com>, "George
J. Carrette" <···@delphi.com> writes:
>>> Already it seems there is talk of punting JVM in search
>>> of the holy grail of Universal Virtual Machines.
>>>
>>> Vendors move past Java to look for UVMs.
>>>
>>> InfoWorld April 7, 1997 v19 n14 p1(1)
>>>

>It appears to me that a 80386 machine code subset is a good enough VM !
>
>But no way in hell the non-wintel camp would let that happen.

   You're right.  I'd like an MC68040 instruction set.
   I'm a Mac user and proud of it.  (:

>-kelly murray  ···@franz.com  http://www.franz.com

B.B.