From: M. L. James
Subject: Translation of Symbolics Lisp Machine Backup Tape
I have two Symbolics tapes (3-M Cartridge) that were generated back in 1990
containing source and binary LISP files. I need to recover the source files
so I can port the system. Do you know who I can get that can translate the
tapes for me back to their individual files?

I think someone told me a very long time ago that Symbolics generated
backup files in TAR format but I don't remember.

Thank You,
-- Mark
From: Martin Cracauer
······@idt.net (M. L. James) writes:

>I have two Symbolics tapes (3-M Cartridge) that were generated back in 1990
>containing source and binary LISP files. I need to recover the source files
>so I can port the system. Do you know who I can get that can translate the
>tapes for me back to their individual files?

>I think someone told me a very long time ago that Symbolics generated
>backup files in TAR format but I don't remember.

You might want to ask ····@ai.sri.com, the Symbolics Lisp user group.

I remember someone mentioned he had a Unix-based program to extract
Symbolics backup tapes.

If that fails, you'll for sure find someone with a Symbolics with a
working tape drive (me,f or example :-) and ask him/her to do this for
you if you can give the tape out.

Martin
--
···············@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536