From: ····@crosswind.com
Subject: lisp/clos on Linux
I'm new to lisp and I'm looking for some (free) tools to get started with.
I'm interested in CLOS support, decent documentation, and maybe an emacs
interface. I run Linux on my home intel system.

I've installed GCL, but it doesn't seem to have any clos support. Does pcl
work with gcl? (It wasn't listed as such in the distribution I picked up)
I also got the impression that there isn't a CMU lisp port for intels.

Does anyone have any suggestions, either regarding other implementations
or information on clos for gcl?

-matt

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: lisp/clos on Linux

    matt> I've installed GCL, but it doesn't seem to have any clos
    matt> support. Does pcl work with gcl?

Yes.  Get the pcl package from the same place you got gcl and it
should work.

    matt> (It wasn't listed as such in the distribution I picked up) I
    matt> also got the impression that there isn't a CMU lisp port for
    matt> intels.

There is a working port of CMUCL for Linux.  Check sunsite.unc.edu for
the latest release.  You need lots of disk (10-20 MB) and memory (16
MB is ok, >= 32 MB is better).

    matt> Does anyone have any suggestions, either regarding other
    matt> implementations or information on clos for gcl?

Although I use CMUCL almost all of the time (for crunching some
numbers), I like CLISP a lot.  It's small and very robust.  It uses
it's own version of CLOS that is pretty good.  PCL can also be used
with CLISP if you don't want to use the builtin version.

Ray
From: Jim Veitch
As you may not know, Franz has made a no-charge version of Allegro CL
available under Linux.  This has a full bore CLOS implementation
included.  Visit the Franz site http://www.franz.com and go to the free
stuff section for details.

Regards,

Jim.