From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: Ousterhout and Tcl lost the plot with latest paper
Tom Christiansen (·······@mox.perl.com) wrote:
:  [courtesy cc of this posting sent to cited author via email]

: In comp.lang.perl.misc,
:     ··@erix.ericsson.se (Robert Virding) writes:
: :A final question which has long interested me and which seems relevant
: :to this whole discussion: who would use Tcl if it DIDN'T have such a
: :integrated interface to Tk?

: The people using it for expect.

Ok, in all fairness I do have to note this as a contribution on the
side of Tcl.  I was quite pleased that a language existed to allow
control of other programs, and did in fact think it was a nifty idea.
So regardless of my feelings towards Tcl, I do admire the idea of
Expect.

: --tom
: --
: 	Tom Christiansen	·······@jhereg.perl.com

: With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available.  On Unix, I am
: limited by my knowledge.  --Peter J. Schoenster <······@baste.magibox.net>

--
Cya,
Ahmed
From: Cameron Laird
In article <··········@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>,
········@bayou.uh.edu <········@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>Ok, in all fairness I do have to note this as a contribution on the
>side of Tcl.  I was quite pleased that a language existed to allow
>control of other programs, and did in fact think it was a nifty idea.
>So regardless of my feelings towards Tcl, I do admire the idea of
>Expect.
			.
			.
			.
It's a different contribution than you might
realize.  Don Libes has emphasized, at least
in the writings I've seen, that there's no
necessary connection between Expect and Tcl.
He always expected people to write Expecting
extensions for such other languages as Perl,
Rexx, ...; in fact, there was an Expect (in
C?) *before* he re-did it for Tcl.

Perhaps *that* is some sort of testimony to
Tcl's appropriateness; as straightforward as
it would be to re-do Expect in other lan-
guages, Tcl has always been good enough, and
so the migration has never been done.

I've trimmed follow-ups.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html