From: ····@panix.com
Subject: Russ McManus will speak on Guile to LXNY on Friday April 11 1997
at the second LXNY meeting of 1997.

Russ McManus, serious *n*x hacker and Linux user since Before 1.0, will
speak at Mariella's Pizza at 225 West 57-th Street in New York City at
6:30 pm on Friday, April 11, 1997.  Mariella's is near to Coliseum Books,
and across the street from the Duane Reade drugstore.  Columbus Circle is
near by.  For those who dare to bring a car into Manhattan, there do exist
parking lots, but we have been informed by the City of New York that there
are no more municipal parking lots or garages.

Russ will speak on Guile, the extension language of the GNU project.

As Richard M. Stallman has forcefully pointed out Linux owes much to
Project GNU.  Linus Torvalds, before any public statements by Stallman on
Linux, said: "The most important decision made in the design of the Linux
kernel was to place it under the GNU Public License."

A complete working system for a computer, or a system of computers, that
actually allows for work to get done on the machine is more than just a
kernel, and more than just a kernel and some file systems, and some
compilers, and some "applications programs".  A programming language which
can control the tasks the system performs in a way similar to the way that
a human being sitting at a terminal runs the system is needed.  Such
languages are called "scripting languages".  Most Unix shells today come
equipped with their own scripting languages, each one slightly different
from the others.  Much of the success of Unix is due to the easy exercise
of the power to control that such shell scripting languages provide the
user.  But most old shell scripting languages suffer from a lack of
system.  Project GNU has proposed and with the help of many volunteers,
including Russ McManus, written the cleaner and more powerful scripting
language Guile.

Many hacker projects are better in the dream, in the design, and even in
the coding, than in the use.  Hacking the Better is one thing.  Everyday
use is something else.  Russ McManus works today at Goldman Sachs writing
and supporting a system used for trading international equities in world
markets and uses Guile in his work.  In addition to bug fixes for Guile
itself, which fixes have been merged into the source tree, Russ has also
written guile interfaces to Sybase, Reuter's real time data distribution
library, and he is presently working on a guile-based spreadsheet.

If possible rsvps from those intending to come should be sent to
····@panix.com as soon as possible, so that we have some idea of how many
to expect.  But come, even if you do not send an rsvp.  If you are late
that is all right too.

Michael Smith, ·······@panix.com
Jay Sulzberger, ····@panix.com
The Interim Committee for Visitors of Linux New York.
LXNY is Linux New York, New York's Linux organization.

Here are some web sites having to do with Guile:

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/scheme-home.html
http://nis-www.lanl.gov/~rosalia/mydocs
http://web.egr.msu.edu/VISTA/Docs/Pgrt/raw
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gel
http://www.sunlabs.com/people/john.ousterhout/scripting.html

Quoted below is the Guile page from the Free Software Foundation site
http://www.fsf.org .